Prop Selection help!  30 Oulaw with 600SCI >

Prop Selection help! 30 Oulaw with 600SCI

Notices

Prop Selection help! 30 Oulaw with 600SCI

Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Selection help! 30 Oulaw with 600SCI

I have a 2006 Baja 30 Outlaw with factory 600SCI's XR drives, and extended K planes. The boat when I got it had 32p labbed Bravo 4-blades that were tweeked to a 33p. The boat would hit 93-94mph and hit off the rev limiter at 5400prm a bit at wot.

So a couple weeks ago i hit a stick and bend a couple blades on the starboard prop. I took them off and sent them to Hydromotive. I had them fix the bends.

I get the props back, and they will do 89mph @5200. I lost about 4-5mph somewhere... Not sure if its cause of the heat

I also have a set of labbed 32p bravo's that do about the same thing. 89-90mph @ 5400rpm

I have a set of stock 34p bravo's that cavitate and I cant get on plane.

I need opinions on what to do. I want to have my speed back at least for my good props. I think the 33's I have are going to be my dailys at this point. Maybe send the 32p's in and have them worked?

Thanks for any advise.

Last edited by bavboym3; 06-26-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a quick question, have you had good life out of the Bravo X drives hooked up to the 600's? They holding up well?

In regard to your prop deal you might try going to Merc Racing for repairs or a new set, I would think that most manufacturers would go there before the after market gurus for labbed or special props.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Registered

I appologize I have XR drives, and they are great. I would think Bblades or someone reputable would have an answer for my prop choices. I was also thinking of getting the bigger Whipple intercooler nozzles for more water flow to keep the temps down a bit.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

bavboym3,

Yes we can most definitely help you with your propeller issues.
I spent 12 years at Mercury and Mercury Racing and was directly involved with the Bravo 1 family and the Lab Finishing process since its inception to the Bravo 1's in 95. Mercury will still repair or Lab Mercury propellers but they really are not that interested in that operation. Mercury is more concerned with selling new propellers. Not only has the propeller department leaned that way since my leaving there but the upper management pushes that business practice. Don't get me wrong, I love the Merc boys. They just aren't as focused on the person to person process like we used to be.

My last position at Mercury Racing was managing the Racing propeller Lab. So I have a rather intimate relationship with Mercury propellers and the Labbing process. After all, Mercury Racing and my old boss/mentor Dennis Cavanaugh invented the process. Let's just say, I was fortunate to have the best teachers.

So I'm sure I know the exact recipe used to build your 33's. To be fair to Hydromotive, we sell service and love to Lab Finish their products too, and know they have a wonderful product for the correct application. However, I wouldn't send my Merc Labs to them for the reason you experienced. Hydromotive actually has a separate gentleman outside Hydromotive do their repair and lab work. Although quite good, the intricacies of Mercury Racing recipes would not be his specialty. Again, I'm not trying to condemn anyone, just want to explain some of the facts.

We would love the opportunity to help you with your propping or prop adjustments. Send me a note or call us and we'll do our best to help you.

Brett
Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

PM'd you brett