When it comes to props I'm lost.....

Notices

When it comes to props I'm lost.....

Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
think of prop pitch as the gears on a 10-speed bike, you can go the same speed in lots of different gears all that changes is how fast you pedal. You will go the fastest in the highest gear. I lower pitch prop will equate to higher RPM but unless the boat was overpropped to start you won't go faster.
Correct.

Think of the 10 speeds of the bike a pitches. The engine has as much power as your legs. Your legs can pump 1st gear/pitch to the rev limiter (as fast as you can pedal).
But when you shift to 10th gear/pitch you can pedal only at a few revs per minute but the speed is the same. So, if you could pedal at rev limiter you would be going faster than the 1st gear on the limiter.

Going down in pitch and gaining speed will only be faster than the high pitch if the high pitch can't be turned fast enough to gain more speed. Point is, going down in pitch Does Not make you go faster all the time.

Does this make sense or am I being more confusing?

Brett
Old 07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also correct me if I'm wrong. As you move up in pitch say from a 23p to a 26p the boat theoretically moves forward further per each revolution of the 26 than the 23. So you have to spin the 23 higher to get more revolutions, since each rev isn't pushing the boat as far. If you cant overcome that in order to make up the difference the 23 won't be faster.

Me personally I would rather spin a 30p at 4800 and go 90 than say a 26p @ 5500 to do the sane speed.you'll have better cruise as well
Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Correct.

Of course the engines designed wide open throttle range is the determining factor for pitch choices.

Brett
Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=dsmawd350;4159354 Me personally I would rather spin a 30p at 4800 and go 90 than say a 26p @ 5500 to do the sane speed.you'll have better cruise as well[/QUOTE]

Correct?

In my opinion hardly correct, over prop it an you kill the bottom end, kill the mid range acceleration, kill the upper end acceleration, and end up going the same speed at some point when the slug manages to get there. If a few ounces of gas per hour at "cruise" is worth having a boat that overall performs like chit, over prop it and have at it.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Correct?

In my opinion hardly correct, over prop it an you kill the bottom end, kill the mid range acceleration, kill the upper end acceleration, and end up going the same speed at some point when the slug manages to get there. If a few ounces of gas per hour at "cruise" is worth having a boat that overall performs like chit, over prop it and have at it.
I agree, not to mention it is propped to run all day at the peak torq, over propping is hard on the drive and engine as well. If she is made to run 5500, run her there. So many people are scared of higher rpm, I would rather let her sing a little unloaded than hold it back with too much load.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Interesting discussion.

Prop to the upper end of your recommended rpm range with a standard load in the summer (not on the limiter).
When it cools down or the load is light you may have to throttle back a touch.
Throttle response and acceleration and boat personality is a better overall and more usable equation. You will be a happier boater.

Then, build a prop for light loads, cool air, how fast does this SOB go situations.

One prop/set of props can't do it all.

Brett
Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I have an aceelerate like a MOFO prop.
I have a Top End Prop.
And I have a Prop that keeps the boat in the water and in control better for cruising with other people.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here is the simple rule I follow for finding the right pitch prop, it should be banging the rev limiter, when you are by yourself with no gear and stuff on the boat, and practically on fumes, and a cool day, with the wind behind you, ect ect.

If you do that you won't be lugging the motor on a hot summer day loaded with fuel, people, and stuff.

Also just because a higher pitch prop gets you a faster cruise speed at a given rpm don't assume you are saving fuel, typically the motor is working harder to do that and you are propbably getting worse mpg.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to put a picture of the props up and see if any other markings are on them.. I just know the previous owner said I'd have more top end, but would lose some of the midrange.. With the 26's I have on there, it pulls hard under acceleration. The cruise is great
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I will have to put a picture of the props up and see if any other markings are on them.. I just know the previous owner said I'd have more top end, but would lose some of the midrange.. With the 26's I have on there, it pulls hard under acceleration. The cruise is great
Maybe you should just try them and post the results? Spending all this time trying to figure what they are and what he had done to them over a forum is comical. Try them, you may like them better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.