significant damage ? bent bravo blade

Notices

significant damage ? bent bravo blade

Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default significant damage ? bent bravo blade

noticed this today on my labbed 32 , I knocked a chunk out of my skeg a few weeks back , didn't realize I bent a blade, should I be ok to run it for the rest of the season? don't really want down time at this point, 1st pic is what it should look like
Attached Thumbnails significant damage ?   bent bravo blade-photo-32-.jpg   significant damage ?   bent bravo blade-photo-33-.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Registered

I would tend to say no In my opinion. You will have some vibration which would not be good for wear. I am not the expert but I have bent a blade and the vibration was pretty obvious. Yours does not look too bad.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Couginitnordic
I would tend to say no In my opinion. You will have some vibration which would not be good for wear. I am not the expert but I have bent a blade and the vibration was pretty obvious. Yours does not look too bad.
I totally agree with you - it doesn't take much of a bend in a blade to start harmonics/vibrations throughout the drive train. The speeds that you guys are running- rpm's only will augment any damage. It isn't worth a drive seal, shaft etc., not to mention fuel economy to not have this fixed/repaired/replaced. I know it is expansive but in the long run it will save money.

good luck

3pointstar
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that is an easy fix for a prop shop but if it is causing any vibration I wouldn't run it.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

no noticeable vibration, & there are no local prop shops, should have kept my spares...
Old 07-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

find a hammer and an anvil and get to work
Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
find a hammer and an anvil and get to work
I've done it.. To a prop that looks a lot worse. I bent the tip of one blade to almost a 90* angle.. The prop shaft was bent as well. I heated up the blade and beat it back into a shape that somewhat resembled what it used to be... Got thru the weekend with it. Granted, I was running a stock 496 Mag and knew the lower was toast anyway (bent prop shaft).... So seeing it was the holiday weekend...... I only ran the boat hard enuff to get on plane and maintain planning speed.

Last edited by low_psi; 07-30-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try marksprops.com. They have a one day turnaround. I sent one in and they shipped it back one day after they got it. They are in Shelbyville Indiana.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not run that prop in that condition. You may not feel the vibration but it's probably there and could affect the rest of the drive train and then you'll really be unhappy. If it's bent, it could also be weakened and you run the risk of the throwing the blade too..
Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,399 Posts

"It's broke. How long can I drive it until it really breaks ?" Is what I get asked all the time at work. I will not answer that question in any other fashion then "We can remedy the first sentence. Not the second. You are here (or calling) for a reason."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.