Is It Always Worth While To Lab A Prop >

Is It Always Worth While To Lab A Prop

Notices

Is It Always Worth While To Lab A Prop

Old 09-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is It Always Worth While To Lab A Prop

I have heard great things about labbed props from most people, I have heard even more great things about the Prop Vendors that frequent the board..

my questions is are their set ups where you would have no gains? My boat is currently running great, but obviously I would love t pick up that extra 2-3 MPH and better acceleration/economy that could be gained from a lab, I however do not want it thinned too much to the point where it is delicate...

my boat is a 94 221 Liberator with a stock 502, 420HP running an OMC King Cobra 1.42 gearcase, I picked up a used 14 1/2 x 20 OMC Raker on Ebay in August because the original one to the boat was beat up some and will now be used as a back up. I tried to test a couple Merc props that BBlades sent me for comparison but they would not work on my drive even with the correct hub kit so I do not know if they would have improved my performance. I was going to try a Tempest and an Enertia but it looks like the carrier has a pinning kit of some sort that interferred with the bottom of the prop.

So anyway I managed to run to 65.2 on GPS at 5300 RPM with just me on the boat and a little under a 1/2 tank, from what I hear this is much better than most run with this hull so I am running really good

Last edited by markt111; 09-16-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent mine to BBlades and was able to pick up 2 sometimes 3. I was very happy with their input and ideas on how to get the most out of the prop. Brett scheduled a call with me to discuss, I sent the prop and had it back in a few weeks, maybe a month. He typically runs a winter special so it may be a good time to start thinking about what you want to do. I know there are several other prop guys on here and have heard good things about them as well but I have never dealt with them.

Good Luck!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

The thing about Labbing today is we have learned so much more over the last couple decades. There are many adjustments and recipes to Lab propellers today compared to years ago.
We Lab Finish specific to a persons boat and his goals. Those finite adjustments are BBLADES specialty. You now see others in the industry attempting to perform this service as well.

One group you will not see moving this way is Mercury Racing. Rather than operate as we did while I was still at Mercury, Merc Racing has chosen to get away from repairs and tweaking of customer props. I believe in the near future, they will not offer propeller adjustments
at all.

Brett