BBlades/Brett--repair question

Notices

BBlades/Brett--repair question

Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
Default BBlades/Brett--repair question

Can this be easily repaired or will it most likely re-crack??? 3/8" crack or so on trailing edge of my Bravo 24's that you labbed several years ago.
What kind of turn around time for repair are you looking at. I'm guessing you're petty backed up this time of year.
Attached Thumbnails BBlades/Brett--repair question-img_0576.jpg  
Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I've messed mine up worse than that Brett fixed them. They arent cracked 4 years later.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

I'm pretty confident it can be repaired, but it is a stress fatigue crack and not from an impact.
I wish it wasn't my LH prop. If it was a RH, I'd just buy one to use and resell it later.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

He fixed a prop that had a crack in the trailing edge that I sent up a few years back... Wasn't able to fix the prop that cracked in the leading edge though
Old 08-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty much all cracks can be fixed. It is a judgement call as to whether we want to do it depending on the severity and location. When the blade is beginning to separate we tend to shy away due to the memory in the steel. Many cracks appear such as this one above from potential internal defects such as cold rolls or porosity. The crack begins internally and works its way to the nearest edge following the flex in the blade. We don't like to do long cracks because the welding process actually anneals or softens the areas along the edges of the weld while the weld stays very strong. If multiple cracks occur over time it is likely you have a poor casting.

Griff, we should be able to fix that for you in a day or 2 of arrival. We are at 2 weeks lead time on Labbing and repairs.

Thank you,
Brett
Old 08-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Guys lets loot at root cause here. Griff you are running moderate power - hence 24 Pitch. Possibly a strike, possible fatigue, either way not a massive issue. If you were running 32's or 34's it may be more of an issue. If you were running offshore, on and off the throttle, maybe an issue. But this is a safe gamble.

Props to Brett (no pun intended) when I sent you my 30's from an obvious water strike hitting who knows what, 2 blades had what looked to be 1/2 inch of damage like a small creature took a bite out of my prop on 2 blades and cracks on the other two plus two with trailing edge cracks you fixed them. With 600+ horsepower and a complete idiot at the throttle (me) there are still no cracks except for minor tip chunks. They are still lookin good.... i would roll the dice. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

I have 502MPI's with CMI's. I also have 1.36 ratio drives, thus the lower pitch. I spin the 24's to 5100rpms at WOT with 12% slip.

I just dug out the boxes and BBlades labbed them for me back in 2009 so they have 7 seasons and over 300 hrs on them.
There is cupping added at the tips and the trailing edges are thinned slightly. The crack is at the edge of the cupping.
As you can see in the pic, there are some tiny pits on that blade as well. No other blades on either prop have any pits.

I'll ship it off to BBlades Monday. I got a set of 26's from a buddy to get me by until I get it back.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I have 502MPI's with CMI's. I also have 1.36 ratio drives, thus the lower pitch. I spin the 24's to 5100rpms at WOT with 12% slip.

I just dug out the boxes and BBlades labbed them for me back in 2009 so they have 7 seasons and over 300 hrs on them.
There is cupping added at the tips and the trailing edges are thinned slightly. The crack is at the edge of the cupping.
As you can see in the pic, there are some tiny pits on that blade as well. No other blades on either prop have any pits.

I'll ship it off to BBlades Monday. I got a set of 26's from a buddy to get me by until I get it back.
Ok, I'll call you with any questions.

Brett