Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Formula 223 Prop Help? 23p to a 21p? >

Formula 223 Prop Help? 23p to a 21p?

Notices

Formula 223 Prop Help? 23p to a 21p?

Old 08-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 223 Prop Help? 23p to a 21p?

Hey guys, so ive been doing a bit of research and decided to make a thread for help. Ive got an 88' Formula 223LS with the 454/330 bravo 1. I purchased the boat from an older guy in long island, he told me bottom end was stock, but heads were done and have roller rockers/cam set up. I just put in new EMI thunder manifolds on it etc. The engine runs strong, fires right up, idles smooth etc. When i first got the boat it has a PTProp 23p 4 blade on it. When i first put it in the water it was a DOG, took forever to plane out, then top speed was terrible in low 40's. The owner had given me an extra prop with the the boat that i switched on, this one is a Mirage 23p 3 blade which made the overall performance night and day difference over the 4 blade. The top speed ive gotten with this prop was 53mph at 4800rpm and starting to throw a bit of a rooster tail. I still feel like the boat should be more responsive down low as it still feels pretty sluggish. These runs were done with 2 people onboard along with 1/2 tank of fuel. I have been debating trying a Mirage Plus 21p 3 blade but wanted to get some feedback from you guys first. I know every boat and set up is different but if anyone has any positive feedback to help pick the proper propeller for the boat id greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son has a 1988 Formula 223. We recently put a new engine in and went through the customary prop adventure to find that perfect setup. The engine way dyno'ed at 509 hp (@5200 rpm) and 556 ft-lbs torque (@ 4400 rpm). We were prop'ing it for skiing, so we ended up with a 21 pitch Mercury Revolution 4 blade. It can pull two ~260 lb skiers out of the water with two people in the boat and a full tank of gas. We tried a 23 pitch and 25 pitch Mirage Plus, but didn't have the hole shot he was looking for. Not sure if this is close enough for a comparison, but information on the same hull.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Sonic! that is helpful, I actually just found a quicksilver 21p 3 blade prop on Craigslist nearby for 180 bucks. The guy said it was on a 26ft checkmate. I may grab it but I haven't decided yet still want to do some more research. I'm not using the boat for skiing or anything specific, I just like to bomb down the river from time to time and want some good pick up and top end without feeling like I'm taking forever to jump on plane .
Old 08-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is your exhaust exit, thru hall/ silent thunder platform or through the prop. If it's through the prop are thereally 3 plastic plugs in you mirage? If they are remove them that will help the engine Rev to get the power up to get on plane. I think a 21p 3 blade will be to small and will bring your rpm up to high at full throttle. If you want a better hole shot and still close to the same top end I would go with the 21p Rev 4. It supposed to be close to the mirage with the added benefit of the 4 blade.