#6 three blades

Notices

#6 three blades

Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Could you do this to my 4 blades to give me more bow lift? My props are 16.25 diameter, does this reduce the diameter?
Yes we can do it to your props and yes it will increase bow lift. This is the reason we started doing it. Plus it aids in planning. We do it a lot for arneson drive set ups. You will loose some diameter. However, if we use the small template radius, it will only be a 1/4" diameter loss. My go to template is the med. 3" radius and you could loose a 1/2". I make the determination by the requirements and goals of the owner and the condition of the propeller, blade area diameter, set up etc.

Brett
Old 06-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Do 3 blades work on catamarans?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Do 3 blades work on catamarans?

With deep "X" dimensions it is possible..
Old 06-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I've tried alot of props on my old straight bottom 38 fountain with #4s.

18x28p 3 blade cleavers that BBlades did for a friend of mine. These planed pretty decent. Overall, I liked them. Id like to try another set of 3 blades, maybe some 18x30'

17x29p 4 blade cleavers. Took FOREVER to get on plane.

17x28p 4 blade cleavers. Would NOT get on plane at all.

16 7/8x27p 4 blade cleavers. Boat planed like a ski boat, zero slip getting on plane, overall ran very good.

17x28p 4 blade cleavers. Current props. Planing is decent, rpm have been spot on with each other, overall nice set. 96.5mph at 6200RPM.

17.5x32p 3 blade Hoss Round ears. Took a while to plane, only got to run them half a day, and had an engine issue. Never really got to run them again as they were borrowed.

16.5x28p 5 blade cleavers. Non cnc props, but real nice set. Planed like a ski boat. Didnt care for the handling with them, so ebay they went.

16.75 x 28p 4 blade round ears in the pics here. Planing about the same as my current props. Didnt seem to run much differently than my current props, so I sent them back. The seller was nice enough to let me try them before buying.

Out of those props, I would say my top 3, were the 16 7/8 x27p four blades, they planed as good if not better than the 5 blades, but handled better. Next would be my current 17x28's, and then the 18x28p 3 blades.

What I have found, is these old props, nothing is consistant with them. You could try a set of 17x29's, that wont get on plane at all, and a set that planes off like a ski boat. I have so many friends who automatically think they need 18" diameter, or 5 and 6 blades, because they tried a set of 17'' 4 blades that slipped to much. It very well could have been, they just had a chitty set of 17'' 4 blades. For me, I want to get on plane fast. Many times its rough water in lake michigan, and with a full tank of fuel and gear, its no fun trying to get on plane doing 5k rpm burnouts in 5ft' swells. Then the handling. I didnt care for the handling of the particular 5 blades I tried. Boat felt like it had too much stern lift, and had a bit of chine walk on flat water. With the 17x28 four blades, at 95mph, its like its on rails in flat water. Never had the power to run in the 90s when I tried the 28 three blades, but would like to see how it does.
Attached Thumbnails #6 three blades-roundears.jpg   #6 three blades-roundears1.jpg   #6 three blades-roundears2.jpg  

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 06-11-2017 at 12:25 PM.