#6 three blades >

#6 three blades

Notices

#6 three blades

Old 06-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default #6 three blades

So if theoretically the less blades the faster...why is there so few people running 3 blades?

I would like to try a set on my boat as it does not like the transom lift of 5 blades, 4 blades are not bad, wondering if 3 blades would be the ticket.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome question.

I could write a book on this one.
3 blades still have their place in performance boating. However, today's larger horsepower's and boat designs have become more conducive to multiple blade configurations.
Manufacturers need to invent new things too so 4,5,6 and 7 blades came along. On the right deep V a 3 blade may still be faster at WOT than anything else.

​​​​​​​Brett
Old 06-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Awesome question.

3 blades still have their place in performance boating. However, today's larger horsepower's and boat designs have become more conducive to multiple blade configurations.
Manufacturers need to invent new things too so 4,5,6 and 7 blades came along. On the right deep V a 3 blade may still be faster at WOT than anything else.

Brett
A three blade was definitely best on my 30' Checkmate. Brett im sure you recall modifying 3 blade cleavers to a round ear chopper style for me.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I also think that most people set their boat up for the best "all around" functioning propeller. Not for top speed only... A 4 blade will hole shot better and have a better cruising speed than a 3 blade, making it a better choice for the "all around" boater..... but a 3 blade will definitely top end the best.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM
Registered

Awesome question.

​​​​​​​Brett
"like"
Old 06-09-2017, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kreed
I also think that most people set their boat up for the best "all around" functioning propeller. Not for top speed only... A 4 blade will hole shot better and have a better cruising speed than a 3 blade, making it a better choice for the "all around" boater..... but a 3 blade will definitely top end the best.
On my 30 I was only interested in the big end.😁
Old 06-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by check300
A three blade was definitely best on my 30' Checkmate. Brett im sure you recall modifying 3 blade cleavers to a round ear chopper style for me.
Was it 1998 while I was at Merc Racing. That was our first round eared 3 blades and they were done for a Checkmate. Or was it BBLADES days?
We've done so many round ears now on 3,4 and 5 blades. We're doing a set of 4 blades right now for a Black Thunder. 3rd one in the last year.

Brett
Old 06-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Registered

Was it 1998 while I was at Merc Racing. That was our first round eared 3 blades and they were done for a Checkmate. Or was it BBLADES days?
We've done so many round ears now on 3,4 and 5 blades. We're doing a set of 4 blades right now for a Black Thunder. 3rd one in the last year.

Brett
It was actually in 2001. Dennis K was my contact. We had rigged a 30' Checkmate with a single #6 and big power. You subsequently did a couple more for me at Bblades.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Registered

Brett
Could you do this to my 4 blades to give me more bow lift? My props are 16.25 diameter, does this reduce the diameter?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

Originally Posted by check300
It was actually in 2001. Dennis K was my contact. We had rigged a 30' Checkmate with a single #6 and big power. You subsequently did a couple more for me at Bblades.
I remember. It is the prop I was thinking of. I had my dates wrong. Dennis and I shared a office. He had a Polaroid of that prop hanging on the wall till the day he passed.
Awesome!

Brett
​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.