Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Trash
  • 2 Post By bbladesprops

Labbing 25 mirage plus

Old 10-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Registered

My Boats: '86 Formula 206, '89 Formula 272 (Sold), '87 Formula 311
Default Labbing 25 mirage plus

Was out today and ran [email protected] with 25 mirage pluses, 311 formula. Engines peaked around this rpm on the dyno.
This was with 2 people, normal gear and 100 gallons of fuel. The air was cooler and a little faster than i normally run.
Im thinking about having the props labbed, any thoughts on what i would expect to see?
Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1987 Scarab Panther

My estimate is + 1-2 MPH. Pretty good MPH value vs. other options like blueprinting the bottom or raising the X dimension.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:36 PM
Registered

I'd spend the $800-900 elsewhere rather than lab the props. You are close enough. There's a good chance you will see zero difference other than a lighter wallet.
Revd Up likes this.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:24 PM
Registered

In hotter weather, more load, etc it turns a little less. I was thinking labbing give you a few hundred rpm, which should equal more speed unless the slip just goes up.
I know there are a lot of variables, just curious what others in similar situations have seen. The 23 mirage pluses are to small, but do give really good acceleration.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maine View Post
In hotter weather, more load, etc it turns a little less. I was thinking labbing give you a few hundred rpm, which should equal more speed unless the slip just goes up.
I know there are a lot of variables, just curious what others in similar situations have seen. The 23 mirage pluses are to small, but do give really good acceleration.
In some cases labbing will or can give you more rpm. In my case with a similar prop I got ZERO improvement. I did get to spend $480 though.....
Old 10-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Mr Maine,

Because your slip % is 10, you have a strong likelihood of gaining speed. With a 2% increase in slip the speed gain should be 2.5 mph. It could be .5 or it could be 4 mph but you chances of growth are good.
You need to also take into consideration the rpm your engine wants to run at. I'm assuming 5400 is in the max rpm range you wish to be. If you are at that range in the cooler weather with a light load, using your props are a good option. But, if you need a lower rpm or potentially higher, you may need to consider another pitch.

Trash,

There is most likely a reason for your not gaining anything. Examining the before and after numbers is very important. Accurate information going in is critical to get a positive outcome. We don't Lab props without a positive outcome as the higher percentage of probability. However, is some cases, a boat might not respond to Lab work. Lab Finishing has taken on a whole different structure over the last decade. I believe we have set the bar on this. We create a Lab recipe specific to your boat, goals and performance numbers. There are more and more folks who claim to do this but actually do not have the past resources or experience to complete these tasks.
Dollar for dollar, propeller Lab work is the most cost effective method of gaining speed out of your boat. Whether we worked on your props or some one else did, I'd be happy to discuss the process and offer some potential options.

Brett
Kefurr and Jonesyfxr like this.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:06 PM
Registered

All, thanks for the feedback.
BBlades, yes they peaked out around 5500ish rpm on the dyno. I wanted peak closer to 57-5800 but need more cam for that i guess.
It is a TRS Formula 311. I assume you have seen enough of these you would have a good idea of what they like? The slip has always been very low on this boat. My smaller 206 formula with the same props runs closer to 15% slip.
Thanks
Old 10-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Registered

BBlades I'd have to PM you to discuss this.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:55 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash View Post
BBlades I'd have to PM you to discuss this.

Sounds good. Please send us the PM and we can instigate before, after and moving forward.
Or send me a email at [email protected]

Brett