Max 5 Props >

Max 5 Props

Notices

Max 5 Props

Old 02-21-2020, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Max 5 Props

Has anyone tried the Max 5 yet? Specifically a Cigarette 39 TGU if possible? I'm leaning toward this prop, or Hering 5 blades, but it is really hard to find anyone that has tried them yet, as it's still a fairly new design.

The other option I'm considering is the Hering 5 blade outboard clever.

Thanks for any input!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:45 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

The Max 5 was originally designed for the 400R outboard because they wanted a new model for the new engine. It is however, working on some stern drives. The Max 5 is made from cutting down a Maximus casting.
BBLADES offers a R5 propeller made from our 5-SPEED casting. We have been putting it on everything from large bass boats to 38 Fountains. We have a world championshin in OPA class 5 this year as well as wins on other twin engine st ups.
We have not officially released the propeller but we may have some for testing in the size you desire with the option for purchase. Let me know if this may interest you.

Another great option is a custom Labbed set of Maximus props or the BBLADES 4-SPEEDS.

Brett
Old 05-28-2020, 08:05 AM
Registered

Just to update this thread, as I have been doing some prop testing.

The boat came with 32 labbed Bravos from FJ Propeller. The boat had incredible acceleration but was on the limiters at half throttle, it also got on plane well. I think we saw 87 in Biscayne Bay when I sea trialed the boat. That was the only time I used them.

I then stepped up to Bravo 34s. Still on the limiters a little over half throttle, Takes a little work to get on plane, but not terrible. Top speed increased to 92.5, and best ride in rough water.

Maximus 34P 15.25" factory labbed. Still on the limiter, but I can now get 3/4 throttle before 5400, top speed 94. Gets on plane with ease, but worst ride of all props in rough water. It feels like way too much stern lift, resulting in pounding in rough water. I will probably get the thrust tubes shortened to get more bow lift.

Max5 32P 15". On the limiter as to be expected. I bought these to see how this blade shape worked. There is almost no info on these props on a Cig 39, other than Merc Racing claiming they are the best prop for the 39 with Bravos, per Skip at Cigarette. According to Skip, the labbed Maximus has too much blade area. I agree with that, from my testing! The props got on plane well, better than the Bravo 34s but not as good as the Maximus. On the limiters around half throttle at 91 mph. Good rough water performance, nowhere near the slamming of the 34 Maximus props. Overall, these were a really nice prop.

I sent the ECUs in to Mark Boos to have the rev limiters increased. At that point I should be able to get better speed numbers. What I suspect I will end up going with, is having the Maximus 34 cut to a Max5. Before I go that route though, I want to do some back to back texting in rough water with the 34 Bravo and the 32 Max5. This is my first stagger boat, and it seems to be more finicky on what it likes for props. Getting the proper bow lift seems far more critical than other boats I've owned.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for update. Let us know how it ends up.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:54 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

You may consider trying a set of Hydromotive 4 and 5 blades, or Maximus. The Maximus I originally tried on mine caused the bow to be too light, which may work perfectly for you, considering you have a full, and heavy, cabin. Problem: The Maximus that were on my boat had a bit of massaging done to them, via Cigarette's request. So, I don't have any specs to share. Sorry!

*FYI, the Hydro 4 blades are a bit bigger in # than Merc 4 blade specs.... meaning a 4 blade Merc 34 = 32 Hydro, hence why the 4 blade Hydro usually hooks up better than the Merc 34 4 blades (which many argue are Mercs worst 4 blades). My Gladiator REALLY liked the Hydromotive 34 4 blades (different animal, I understand).

Hope that helps.... you're welcome to call me if you'd like more detail. Sorry you haven't figured out the props the boat likes best yet. It's like a black box sometimes!
The following users liked this post:
endeavour32 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 01:55 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

*You're talking to the wrong person at Cigarette. Call Bud. He's prob not going to yield much information, as they didn't spend a lot of time on this set-up, as they were focused on the NXT boats at that time... hence, why I had custom props made for mine.

Last edited by Joe; 05-28-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

I understand everybody uses their boats differently, have different goals and have opinions on the best option propeller. That is only good and correct for that exact reason. Plus every identical boat is different. Weight distribution and "X" dimension as well as HP play strongly into the outcome. My findings for best "overall" performance prop on this particular hull is a custom Lab recipe built from a Maximus propeller at 15.25" diameter with the diffuser cut to the correct length and the rake angle slightly adjusted works the best. The Max 5 props do perform well as long as you use the 15.25" diameter. Bravo 1's and our 4-SPEED will be faster on top with low slip X dimension but do not have as good a cruise speed. Our 5-SPEED has incredible cruise speed. The Labbed appropriately Maximus does everything well especially with shorty's.
I'm not sure of your engines endeavour32, but I'm assuming your limiter is 5400. Checking your slip % numbers they might be a bit high. If 5400 is the limiter, changing that becomes a necessity from your data. If you are not still growing the HP significantly beyond 5400, a gear ratio might be a option. We can help you with the 34 Maximus to Max 5 conversion if you desire.

Brett
Old 05-28-2020, 03:45 PM
Registered

Brett-

The limiters on my engines were indeed 5400, they are 700 SCIs. Marc Boos just changed the limiters, and they are now on their way back to me. I'm trying to get as much data as I can, so I can have whatever prop I decide to go with customized to the boat. The Max5 is a pretty radical change from the labbed Maximus, so I want to make sure that is the route I want to go prior to having that work done.

This has been an interesting experience. With my past boats, I would see subtle differences between props, but usually nothing major. With the Cig 39, each prop has had a completely different affect.

Last edited by endeavour32; 05-28-2020 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MASOMAN (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

The Maximus can be Labbed in many variations. I believe customizing the Maximus into the finished product is going to give you a better outcome than customizing the Max 5 to the finished product. Slip % will be the interesting variable.
The Max 5 is not the end all to end alls as some might market towards. In my opinion.
As always, continue to have fun with the dialing in!

Bret
Old 05-29-2020, 02:37 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
I understand everybody uses their boats differently, have different goals and have opinions on the best option propeller. That is only good and correct for that exact reason. Plus every identical boat is different. Weight distribution and "X" dimension as well as HP play strongly into the outcome. My findings for best "overall" performance prop on this particular hull is a custom Lab recipe built from a Maximus propeller at 15.25" diameter with the diffuser cut to the correct length and the rake angle slightly adjusted works the best. The Max 5 props do perform well as long as you use the 15.25" diameter. Bravo 1's and our 4-SPEED will be faster on top with low slip X dimension but do not have as good a cruise speed. Our 5-SPEED has incredible cruise speed. The Labbed appropriately Maximus does everything well especially with shorty's.
I'm not sure of your engines endeavour32, but I'm assuming your limiter is 5400. Checking your slip % numbers they might be a bit high. If 5400 is the limiter, changing that becomes a necessity from your data. If you are not still growing the HP significantly beyond 5400, a gear ratio might be a option. We can help you with the 34 Maximus to Max 5 conversion if you desire.

Brett
Brett has always known what he's doing with props. Great advice, as usual. We used to have a friendly tit for tat rivalry back in the day. That was a lot of fun. Only thing I'd say is, from my experience on my old boat, stick with the 1.50 ratio, without a doubt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.