Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Mercury MAX5 Propeller - Any Input? >

Mercury MAX5 Propeller - Any Input?

Notices

Mercury MAX5 Propeller - Any Input?

Old 09-28-2020, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Mercury MAX5 Propeller - Any Input?

It sounds like it might be ideal for my Donzi 22 Classic with 525. I'm running a 30p Bravo 1 now. The MAX5 promises an increase in all aspects of performance including a 6-8% top speed increase. Is anyone here running this prop on a single sterndrive application? I'm also running an XR upper and Imco -2" shorty.
The following users liked this post:
Bad vert (09-30-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 08:48 PM
Registered

This prop costs $2,416 at BBlades! Brett, you there? What will this prop do for me for that kind of money?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think that kind of speed increase would come from the ability to raise the prop shaft. I don’t think it’s a matter of simply bolting on 5 mph ...
Old 10-01-2020, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
I would think that kind of speed increase would come from the ability to raise the prop shaft. I donít think itís a matter of simply bolting on 5 mph ...
I'm already running a shorty and need the 4 blade Bravo 1. Any higher and I will lose all my leverage to keep the bow up! It takes a lot of work to make a surface drive work on this hull. Looks like no one here is running one. At $2,400 I don't blame y'all. I'm going to get out again this fall with the rinda tach hooked up and gps and get some good numbers and then give Brett a call. That is a lot of money and there are other toys I could buy for that. 8% speed increase for me is 6.5 mph. That is the cheapest 6.5 mph I've heard of if it's for real!
Old 10-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Registered

Just my opinion, I think the best setup for our hull , is raising the engine to shorten the drive height and using the stock bravo lower vs bolting on the imco. I would point to the Shelby for my reasoning. Our hulls need bow lift. The imco is great in a neutral trim situation , like a cat hull where air is packed in and doing the lifting. I could not get the bow lift with the imco and that was with a prop made by Brett for my setup. Not blaming him , great prop , but the hydrodynamics Of the lower itself. I even used spacers and couldn’t lift the bow.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:27 PM
Registered

Just my opinion, I think the best setup for our hull , is raising the engine to shorten the drive height and using the stock bravo lower vs bolting on the imco. I would point to the Shelby for my reasoning. Our hulls need bow lift. The imco is great in a neutral trim situation , like a cat hull where air is packed in and doing the lifting. I could not get the bow lift with the imco and that was with a prop made by Brett for my setup. Not blaming him , great prop , but the hydrodynamics Of the lower itself. I even used spacers and couldnít lift the bow.
https://www.mercuryracing.com/boat-p...erndrive/max5/
Sounds perfect for a 22' single with 525 that likes bowlift!

Although MAX5 was targeted toward high-horsepower outboards, it also benefits applications with Mercury Racing 520 to 600 HP single and lightweight twin-engine sterndrive applications. Compared to the four-blade Bravo I, MAX5 offers quick hole shot with reduced slip percentages throughout the rpm range, increasing top speed 6-8% on average. MAX5 has a short barrel that minimizes stern lift and less blade area than the Lab Finished Maximus, allowing it to spin up and accelerate faster. This gears MAX5 toward lightweight sterndrive boats that require bow lift for maximum top-end speed. For big power, high X-dimension heavy step-vee-bottom boats the Lab Finished Maximus continues to be the prop of choice.
The following users liked this post:
smokediver (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Registered

Bob Teague highly recommends the prop. There is a video on river daves place. I can’t paste it. He was selling them for 1800 and change.

Last edited by smokediver; 10-02-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:29 AM
Registered

Bob Teague highly recommends the prop. There is a video on river daves place. I canít paste it. He was selling them for 1800 and change.
I will definitely have to call Bob and Brett then and look into this. $1,800 is a lot easier to manage than $2,400+! Plus I can sell my Bravo1.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's anything like the Maximus, beware. The performance is great, but, they are tough on drives.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:07 PM
Registered

ttt No one has any experience with this prop? Teague has the best price at $2,262. That's a lot of money with no testimonials to encourage me to try one. I did a test run last week. Half tank of gas, two people, 77*. Ran 82.0 at 5,390 rpm per the Rinda test tach. That's 20% slip probably because of a lot of trim combined with the Imco shorty making the prop surface. That's also 10 rpm short of the rev limiter! Teague suggests dropping from the labbed 30p Bravo 1 to a 28 MAX 5. I won't be doing it until spring now. Some testimonials would be nice or do I have to be the guinea pig?

Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
If it's anything like the Maximus, beware. The performance is great, but, they are tough on drives.
I have no idea how it compares to the Maximus in that regard but it is quite different in design and performance. https://www.mercuryracing.com/boat-p...rs/#sterndrive