Propeller recommendations - curious what ya'll think >

Propeller recommendations - curious what ya'll think

Notices

Propeller recommendations - curious what ya'll think

Old 12-18-2023, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Propeller recommendations - curious what ya'll think

Repowered my Harley SuperStar 42 this summer with stock 496HOs. Looking to "mine" the smart Dudes/Dudettes on here who have more propeller experience than I do. Goal is an efficient cruise that is easy on the Merc 496s load-wise. Really do not care about WOT and top speed - she's a cruisier.

What is a SuperStar you ask:
At waterline it is basically an 80's Cigarette boat - Deep Vee, no steps, nothing fancy
Weight is 16,000 lbs Dry - has 300 fuel, 75 water, 30 septic and has 6'3" in cabin so it is taller than a Cig - She is just a fat cruiser.
Arneson ASD8 Surface Drives and Twin Disk 1.5:1 gears
Current Props are 19x20 old school 3-blade round eared "chopper" props with 19-splines

I know this site is geared to the high performance poker run beauties which this is NOT but there are some smart folks on here with more propeller experience than I have. Curious what you would try to use and what process you would use to optimize things. Besides - most of you are stuck indoors this time of year - what else you got to do ;-)

Happy Holidays All!

Swampy
Old 12-19-2023, 10:23 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

First thing to do is get some baseline speed and rpm numbers with the props you have.

Whether you go WOT not much or not at all does not really matter. You still need it propped so it will run in the proper 4600-5000 WOT range.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Will it even get on plane with those props. What was the previous power.

Chris