Default NewStuff

Okay.....what's this?
Old 04-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NewStuff

It looks like I have a new playground!

OR:

I have just been put in the penalty box!

Julie
Old 04-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Re: NewStuff

Discussion about propellers. O.K...Lets begin with the basics. Let's talk about Mercury props, since they were the only performance stainless propellers in the beginning. Mercury Hi-Performance offered the first stainless props for the Hi-Perf Racing outboards...then sterndrives. Or did Carl Kiekhaefer(Kiekhaefer Aeromarine) offer the first SS propellers? Anyone know the history? We'll talk about the Choppers & Mirages, etc., later. Any input? (Had to start somewhere!?) Ed
Old 04-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: NewStuff

Ed,

That is a wonderful question! The reality is, it would take multiple pages and alot of time to relate the entire story. I think I can condense it enough to answer your question though.

EC (Carl Kiekhaefer) still owned Mercury until the early 60's. When he sold to Brunswick he remained as the president. There in lies the answer to your question. Mercury Hi Perf had the performance propeller market to themselves until 1970ish when EC started Areo Marine and began his own line of offshore cleavers to compete with Mercury Hi Perf.

In the late 50's early 60's, 2 BL stainless steel propellers were being experimented with. Prior was Bronze. Mostly outboard stuff was being developed. In the later 60's when the #2 drive was developed for the new designs of inboard engines, again 2BL stainless steel propellers were built for those applications. In the mid sixties some big enhancements were made to improve the performance of the outboard props. One of those was a prop developed by Dick Sneider (then director of hydrodynamics for Mercury Hi Perf). It was a through hub OB prop with 14" diameter and 20-22 inches of pitch. The key was it was its parabolic rake. It carried the bow well on the OB race boats and basically kicked all comers butts.

When Carl Kiekhaefer started Areo Marine, he needed props for his new inboard race engines, and getting them from Mercury had politics attached to it. He fashioned his own propeller department and began doing some thing's Mercury was and some things they weren't doing with their props. That is a whole other story.

I hope this answers your question.

Brett Anderson
Old 04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Brett,

Thank you for the bit of history....and welcome to the board!

Julie
Old 04-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Thank you Julie, it's great to be here. I look forward to working along side you guys and the other great enthusists on offshoreonly.

The few months I was out of the marine industry were spent creating our new propeller facility. There is more info to come.

Brett Anderson / BBLADES Professional Propellers, LLC.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:00 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Okay.....what's this?
My bet is they talk about that thing that turns around on your hat.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you mean that shiny "Veg-O-Matic" thing on the back of your boat?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Who was the first to develop the stainless cleaver propellers for the A, B, C, D, etc...Class Sport Utilities & Hydro's, raced on Mercury Quicksilver "Quickies" lower-units? Was it D.A.(Don)Heinrich(OMC hydrodynamicist) or Kiekhaefer Mercury? Ed
Old 04-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Mercury Hi Perf began working on specialty hydro props in the early 60's (stainless steel). They were developing the beginning of what we know today as Lab Finished propellers. The propeller laboratory in Oshkosh Wisconsin was the birth place of all the blueprinted or "Lab Finished propellers" you see today. Those small hydro props were actually the first #2 stern drive propellers and that line of offshore propeller family was born from those hydro props. Sneider, Hetzel, and Swebby were some of the names that got those props developed.

I'm not exactly sure on the OMC time line.

Brett Anderson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.