Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Resto has began! 1988 Image / Ocean express 31 cat   TONS OF PICS >

Resto has began! 1988 Image / Ocean express 31 cat TONS OF PICS

Notices

Resto has began! 1988 Image / Ocean express 31 cat TONS OF PICS

Old 08-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge thanks guys!! It really helps me keep my motivation up to get this beast running this summer!!

Seabold you are exactly right, once the seat is gone there is a huge opening left between the head & valve allowing debris to be pushed back up in the intake by the piston & its gets spread to all cylinders real quick @ 5,000 rpm crazy happen.

Engine is set in but I am waiting on the engine builder to come over & double check the timing & float levels before I hit the water, then we are going to the lake to double check the carb tune & plugs after a couple short runs. This will ease my mine on both engines just rather safe then sorry again, even though it wasnt anything that him or myself caused just one of those things..... **** happens
Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

May I borrow someone else's luck for a few days???

Got the new engine back in & tuned in, took it to the lake reset timing float levels. Make a couple passes across a small local like, seemed to run great! still in its break-in period so I was easy on it. Pull back into the dock seems like one engine has a major mis, pull the valve cover only to find two pushrods off wedged between the head & the rocker........ Found two of the brand new "comp" roller lifters broken!! push rods were strait as an arrow, rockers looked perfect, studs & girdle were all still tight. only running 240lbs on the seat should not cause failure within 25 minutes.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

1.5 or 1.6 ratio rockers?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lil red
1.5 or 1.6 ratio rockers?
1.5 comps full roller solid lift
Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

GTO what is the Recommended hot valve lash for that Cam? also check for coil bind which would subject the lifter to extreme fatigue as the RPM increases just some ideas to check into. Ask you engine builder, about it the cam lift might be more than the coils can absorb. it has happened to me in the past. keep use posted
Old 08-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the ideas, he came over & tore it apart double checking everything. We checked for coil bind & found nothing got plenty of spring lift think its only a 630 lift, I dont know the lash but he checked all the others & the port engine everything seemed the exact same as it was when build. Monday he is coming back over with a brand new set of comp lifters they sent to him, going to send the other set back & see why they failed.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,211 Likes on 582 Posts

What springs are you running? Spring rate? That seems like a lot of seat pressure. I assume you don't have drag race cams in there.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gto your luck is like mine, ive put 1.3hours on mine this summer, mine is with starters and just loosing interest on it.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Rookie* this is the exact setup "Comp" recommended,

Jonny* I agree!! Its about all I can do to jump back in there with a toolbox. Luckily this time the builder it doing all the labor in the boat! If I run into another issue this year thats it! going to go in storage early, Im done hemorrhaging money on this vessel this year.

Last edited by GTOKILLER; 08-18-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with it, maybe this will be the last 'fix' .. I do feel your pain though. Once all the bugs are worked out you will love the boat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.