Notices

Save the twins!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save the twins!

Hello OSO, long time reader, first time poster. My name is Corey, and I live on the south side of Grand Rapids, Mi. A few years ago my uncle gave me a 1977 Baja 19TC, which he bought new in '78. He bought it from a marina in the South Haven area IIRC. At that time it was sold with a Merc 228, PreAlpha, and Twin turbos in a very primitive blow through type setup. The boat was used this way until 2002, and has sat ever since due to a new boat. Yes he was tired of going through drives. Anyhow, I let the boat sit in my fathers garage until I had the money to restore it properly, and a garage of my own. Oct 1st I bought my first home, and it even has an outdoor hoist! Not very useful 5 months out of the year, but I am not complaining. Now the boat is in good shape considering the age. The gel on the heavy metal flake is pretty baked, and the interior is certainly due for an update, but people start with much worse right?

First things first, a buddy bought a boat with a terrible interior, but nearly new Alpha 1 Gen 2 that I will be robbing all the parts I need from as far as the drive goes.

Second, I heavily considered doing an LS swap, and want to BAD. But I just have to keep the nostalgia of this boat, especially being as unique as it is. So I will be pulling the motor that is in it. The turbos will go to Diesel Injection Services here in GR for a rebuild, and I will handle tastefully freshening up the motor. Stout and reliable rotating assembly for low boost, and I assume some vortec heads, with a low boost friendly cam and some beehive springs, all held together with the usual ARP goodies. It will also get a ignition upgrade, with a boost timing controller for good measure. Again, I plan to run very low boost, as new it only ran like 6-8psi.

I am not looking to lay down any speed records, just a reliable, nostalgic, twin turbo baja. That to me is way cooler than any cookie cutter powerboat. I have a strong background in SBC engines, and custom wiring. These things I have handled. It is restoring the hull, interior, and drive that I need your help with. So without further adieu, check it out and let me know what you think. Any constructive criticism will be appreciated.

http://s1209.beta.photobucket.com/us...a%2010-23-2012

BTW, My first question is how can I strip the bottom paint without damaging the original gel over metal flake?

Last edited by dwiddowmaker; 10-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Factory twin turbos!! thats cool, never knew something like this existed. It was 10 years before my time.

Subscribed Ill be watching the build.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered

It's long before my time as well. I'm only 24.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Registered

Started disassembly today, not a lot of progress but I've been sick. I can't wait to get the turbos off and take a look at how the water is routed through them!

I'm also second guessing using my new, but cast Scat stroker crank. I know I can resist the urge to holeshot the boat, but long high rpm runs even under mild boost will be pretty hard on the cheapo crank I assume. Right now I have a 4 bolt main block that is std or .010, have to check the tag. Anyhow, this will replace the 305 that is in it. Also have to start playing with numbers tonight and decide on a compression ratio. I am thinking since keeping the turbos is more of a restoration thing, than a chase for power, I will likely not be building a designated low compression turbo motor, but something in between. I am betting the 228 was surprisingly well fitted for this, even stock. Lol

Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

probably a very good fit, Im guessing that hull isn't good for much HP or speed. I may be wrong I'm sure someone on OSO would know better then me.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

man that is rare.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Sweet! We need more Pics!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered

Very Cool! I have brought back to life many hulls on some older boats. If you have a makita buffer and some "Presta SuperCut Compound" it should work for you. Also if you are looking for a good drive guy Dick (MrGadgets) in Holland is great! I want to see some results!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

man that thing is cool...keep the pics coming
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Very Cool boat! Get that thing done and bring it up to TC!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.