Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
New to this need lots of advice i have tons of questions. >

New to this need lots of advice i have tons of questions.

Notices

New to this need lots of advice i have tons of questions.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this need lots of advice i have tons of questions.

After a long time of watching waiting and lusting I finally have a chance of getting a boat. I have built or restored several cars like classics, drag cars, and crawlers. This will be my first boat and will need lots of advice. I am thinking that my automotive restoration back ground will help but I assume I will come across several things that will stop me in my tracks. What I have found is I believe 1987 baja sport but kid I spoke with said its 1987 Bandit sport race boat but I have never heard of this and I am unable to find any info on bandit sport. Anyway it is 22 foot and basically stripped down all the parts are in boxes in the garage including 5.0 mercruiser with matching out-drive his dad was in process if full tear down and restoration and got sick. My question is what kinda mess have I gotten into? I would like to reinstall motor and running gears be able to put into water and then slowly redo interior. Is there a thread or page I could follow with step by step how to? Take a look at pic tell me what you think is it worth the effort.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well to put it simply installing engines and rigging is the easier part of re doing these boats. Fiberglass boats are built with wood transoms and stringers which like to rot out. Inspect the condition of these thoroughly or else you will find yourself ankle deep in fiberglass soon enough.

Anyways, that does not look like any baja i have seen. If it has a hull identification number you can try to look it up that way.

Most people on this website prefer a good old big block boat with mercruiser bravo drive. The better built hulls you will come across are going to be pantera cigarette excalibur p&d python superboat martini donzi etc etc they are known as 24x7 cigarette designed boats. A nice formula 233 or 242 might be what your looking for. I guess what im trying to say is do a little research and figure if that is a hull you want to rebuild verses finding a more proven design. It also depends on where you will be running the boat, the boats i listed are offshore deep v boats built to run in rough water.