Notices

Seacast

Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seacast

Anyone know much about it? There's a lot of videos on you tube but they are all on small boats. Anyone ever used it on a 35 + ft powerboat? Or know someone who has? I've talked to the gentlemen at seacast about the product and they are very confident in what they sell and that it will work in my application. What's your guys input on this stuff ?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

It's a expanding foam. All depends on where you plan on using it. When used in a transom depending on how your transom shield attaches (Volvo's use 6 bolts and nuts thru the transom) the bolts tend to crush the foam some. With that said I've used US Composites 16lb foam in stringers before. Normally I would just cut them apart and replace the wood and rebuild the glass. These stringer glass was so thick that the wood inside was just an after thought. Cutting them up and putting them back together would have ended up making them weaker then if they were left like they were. Used some super long drill bits and a shop vac to get the old wood out with minimal damage to the glass. Then filled US Comp's 16lb foam. I can crank down and break off a 1/2" bolt and never dent a stringer. They were solid before, now .... wow!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a product called Nida Bond. Found a place out west that was selling it with free shipping if you order 3 or more 5 gallon cans. Winter of 11/12 I paid $367 delivered for it. Did my center stringer in my formula and used it to bed in new bulk heads to the old stringer glass also. Worked well, seems pretty tough, time and running will tell. But since I was replacing 1/2" bulk heads with 3/4" new ones and then adding in Nidabond behind them, it is pretty over kill. (Formulas were filled with foam, so you could carve out a cavity and back fill it, worked well.)

The center stringer was also plywood with a top and bottom 2x lumber, so hollow in the middle. It is now solid, not going anywhere!

But this is what it is designed to do. It is also a fiber filled resin, polyester based. Uses a MEKP hardener. Not going to crush this, definitely not a foam base.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Details are in my build thread in the formula section under my new project. Sort by replies, near top.

Brian
Old 09-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I have to comment anyway- I used sea cast in a restoration on a 35' Carver cabincruiser it is NOT expanding foam, it is a vinylester based fiberglass product designed to replace coring in transoms and other core-filled areas on a boat. VERY structural, very easy to work with, and I will be using it again in the near future on another project. If anyone wants to see what I did and how I used it, send me a pm and I'll give you a link to my write-up.