Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Velocity 22 Resurrection >

Velocity 22 Resurrection

Notices

Velocity 22 Resurrection

Old 07-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In a 22 foot boat balance is extremely important, and being this hull was designed with a small block in mind, throwing the extra weight of a big block in the very rear of the boat is kind of a big deal.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:36 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

I agree. I can't answer for that boat, but it took me two years of moving batteries into the right spot to get the azz end of my boat (20ft, not a Velocity) from skipping around in just mid 50's mph. My boat is so sensitive to rear weight, that when I put the drive back 6" it started skipping around again. Very dangerous in mine.

I can only run full speed under 1/4" tank or it skips. I call it skipping because it worse than dancing and chine walking.

Once I figured it out, it remains calm 14/15mph faster than that.

Yes, I've tried 5 quazzilion props which can also help or aggrevate it.

Wit these little boats you need to hear what it's telling you and follow what it says.

Last edited by SB; 07-19-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

One suggestion for you is when you put your floor in you might want to make the section over the fuel tank removable. I had to replace the floor in my 22 velocity and because the tank was in good shape I made that section of floor over the tank removable in case I ever needed to get to the tank again. Instead of carpet or paint I used a product called dekadence that is really nice but pricey. My 22 velocity with a 468 450hp runs right at 78mph. If I hadn't have had Stellings headers I would have seriously thought about a SBC.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
In a 22 foot boat balance is extremely important, and being this hull was designed with a small block in mind, throwing the extra weight of a big block in the very rear of the boat is kind of a big deal.
i have owned a 22 velocity and ran different combinations of motors, it really isn't as big of a deal as you might think. we were also a velocity dealer in the late 80's and i've been in both, big block, small block and outboard versions. unless you are planning on doing the shootout then i think you are putting to much thought into the placement, weight, battery mount etc. the one thing that i would suggest is a set of nice k planes. keep up the good work, you have an awsome boat.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tech was mature enough I'd use a brushless motor. Internal combustion is silly. But until capacitors can match battery storage I'll wait.

For now I'll use what is on hand, an SBC. If I were to spend the money on a whole new engine it certainly wouldn't be an ancient big block, that's like going from FI to a carb. It will be LS based but not until the budget can cover a crate engine and mods.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered

If I were in your shoes I would look nowhere but towards an LS motor. 6 liter preferably so you can run rectangle port heads which flow north of 300cfm out of the box.
You can get LY6 dropouts(rectangle port, iron block 6 liter with the good Gen IV rods) for under $2,000 around here. Closer to 1500 if you shop.
Put another $1,000 in cam/springs/pushrods and harness mods and you will have a 500+hp screamer that loves to turn RPM.
Sure, you can build a 500hp BBC cheaper but it's going to eat gas and have nowhere near the reliability of the Gen IV motor. There are guys making over 1000hp on stock bottom ends over on LS1tech.

There are no common parts between an old SBC(junk) and LS motors.

Edit - don't waste your $ on a crate engine. Go to the JY and get a complete takeout. If $ is an issue get an older LQ4 (pre-07, 05/06 would be best so you get Gen IV rods which are stronger than earlier), cathedral heads will also make great power, they actually outperform rectangles down low.
Return line, 255lph inline, C5 fuel pressure regulator is all you'll need for a fuel system. I've done a few LS swaps, they are VERY easy.

Last edited by Jon01; 07-21-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Registered

I never said you said that they shared parts, easy killer.
I also never said they would live at 1k+ with stock internals in a marine environment.
That they will make that power is just a testament to how much more durable they are than the old SBC/BBC's which puked at 1/2 that power.
OP has a fairly light hull, an LS motor would handily push it around reliably(likely faster) and with much lower fuel consumption than an old carbed 454.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

small boat or not, they all need a decent amount of torque and the only way you get that is cu inches. if you think a 600 hp sbc will be good on fuel, you are only kidding yourself lol. i'm not so sure a sbc is that much more durable either?? marine application is tough on any motor but when you don't have to wring out a motor to get hp from it (bbc) they will last much longer
Old 07-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cig92
small boat or not, they all need a decent amount of torque and the only way you get that is cu inches. if you think a 600 hp sbc will be good on fuel, you are only kidding yourself lol. i'm not so sure a sbc is that much more durable either?? marine application is tough on any motor but when you don't have to wring out a motor to get hp from it (bbc) they will last much longer
+1 for me small block in a car rev it up have fun in a boat need the torque bigger is better work less to keep boat at speed but that being said i think small blocks have there place always wanted to see a 24 formula with twin hot ls's
Old 07-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered

An LS motor is NOT a slobbering old SBC.
There's another member with I believe a 24' skater or cigarette with 2 STOCK 5.3's that runs north of 100, he was shocked at the fuel consumption, to the point the gauges were questioned.
My old H/C GTO that made 550 would throw down mid 20's on the highway.
I have yet to read of someone putting one in something and being displeased with the performance.
FWIW, the L92 in our Denali has no problem propelling it to low 14's and it's stock other than a quicky home tune. The truck weighs almost 6000#.
Go look at some dyno #'s before you condemn them as having no torque like the old SBC's. Technology is here, time to embrace it.

Last edited by Jon01; 07-23-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.