Captains call conversion >

Captains call conversion

Notices

Captains call conversion

Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Captains call conversion

I am in the process of replacing the power in my 89 Wellcraft Eclipse 216 from a little 305 to a fire breathing 355! (insert sarcasm) I bought a set of diverters from a guy with all the wiring a few years back as I thought I'd like to add tru hull exhaust at some point and now seems to be that time since the motor is out and I am redoing the bilge but I have been told that I do not have enough rise to be assured that I will not get water back up into the motor. Does anyone know if this has ever been done successfully in this particular boat? I am not opposed to going out the sides of the transom if need be.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt
Old 07-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

The time to do this is with the motor in and manifolds on....now you can see what needs to be done. Don't go out the side unless you have an H pipe, otherwise it won't sound too hot. The requirements for riser height and tailpipe relationship are in every mercruiser power package installation manual, which you can find with a google search.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Also, if your setup doesn't have sufficient height, you can purchase riser spacers or a whole new manifold setup. Keep in mind if you have to add a lot, you will have to weld extensions onto the diverter or find a longer boot. I know some of the Volvo Penta boots are longer.