Formula 242LS back from the brink >

Formula 242LS back from the brink

Notices

Formula 242LS back from the brink

Old 09-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 242LS back from the brink

I've been shopping for a powerboat for the past few years.
A month or so ago an add came across Powerboat Swap Shop on FB - 92 242LS cracked block. Not free but cheap.
I called the guy and hammered out what was going on with it - needs a block (froze). Drive is only a few years old (Bravo), motor is ~10 yrs old, hull is solid. 2 owner boat. Needs a little interior work. In Louisville (I'm in Des Moines).
Went and picked it up - exactly as he said, good solid boat that needed a deep cleaning and a new block for the 454.
Pic the night we picked it up.

Got it home and started buffing on it and the Imron and gelcoat are coming back very nicely. Sure takes some grinding on the gelcoat to remove 20 years of oxidation but she'll look good when I'm done.
Cockpit is a mess - I think it sat covered outside for several years, it's filthy but all savable.
Also did some more digging - has full Stainless Marine exhaust, 454 is a Magnum with rectangle heads.

I was just going to toss these internals and heads on another block and roll out cheap while building a mean motor but I'm seriously contemplating picking up an LY6 and doing an LS swap and parting out the BB stuff.
I've done a few in cars and they're easy. The motors have never let me down, they make stupid power, sip gas and respond great to mods.

Anyways, I'm going to get some more pics this weekend if time allows but wanted to get a progress thread started.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A 454 mag that you can demonstrate it running can bring good money too ,around.here it would cost about 650 in parts to bring it back to life .nice boat would love find something like that
Old 09-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats they are nice riding boats but no speed demons