Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
what to replace while motor is out? >

what to replace while motor is out?

Notices

what to replace while motor is out?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to replace while motor is out?

I am kind of new to boating.I got out of motorcycle track days and went into boats.I traded my trackbike for a 1985 scarab 1 that needs more work then I wanted but I really love the boat! I have the motor out to repair motor mount stringers and I was wondering what to replace while its out? I know the gimble bearing,ujoint bellows ,trim sensers but I was wondering if there is a must do that I'm missing . thanks in advance,
Erik
Old 01-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have already taken your motor out you are more mechanical than 70% of us here.

A little more info on your setup will get you some more interest.

Welcome to boating and welcome to OSO.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 106 Likes on 51 Posts

Replace anything you can afford that is hard to get to like bilge pump and hoses. Blower motor and hoses. Battery cables that are secured to the stringers or transom. stuf like that.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Registered

I asked a similar question some time ago. I had a water leak which was the freeze plug. So while one of the motors was out I replaced the bilge pumps. But beings you mentioned your boat was a 85 Scarab, I had a 86 Wellcraft and after removing and reinstalling the motor one weekend the Engine Coupler went bad. If I only knew it was going to go bad I would have replaced that part. I can only assume that yours is set up that same way.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Transom gasket and upper and lower swivel pins.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Everything mentioned above, plus the starter.
Basically anything that you know will be a bltch to reach when the motor is in; and is less than a couple $100 bucks.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:54 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Verify the extent of the damage to the stringers before you worry about anything else. Usually threads that mention stringer repair quickly turn into transom repair, bulkhead repair, gas tank and forward stringer repair, etc.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the responses !it is a 350 mercruiser,the motor has a ton of room to work around it but yes I am gonna replace what I can.
I have the tops of the motor stringers cut open neatly and cleaned out and scrubbed everything really good.I am going with the seacast pour as it looks to be my best method.I drilled holes in transom and it is wet ,I know will probably lead to rot but I reeeally do not want to get into that this season! I talked to rot Dr. He said to look really good for stress cracks or damage and I couldn't find anything. If I did get into it what is the easiest way ? I am a A-tech bodyman by trade ,I am pretty capable of doing anything its just that I can only get the boat in the shop on weekends and don't really want to abuse my shop use ! How hard is it to separate hull and deck ,I think I'm using correct terminology ? I would like to use the pour method on that also .I knew I was gonna open up a can of worms with the thread but it gives us all something to talk about until spring time! Besides I do really need some guidance.

Last edited by gobirds; 01-18-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

May I suggest that you purchase and install a - thru the drain plug- oil drain hose. IMO this is the next best thing since sliced bread -- Makes oil changing a snap!!

Welcome to OSO

Great group of people - where everyone is good looking, have above average boats, nerves of steel heading thru true 8' waves and a plethora of smart alike comments that are worth their weight in gold!

Take care and above all safe boating!!

3pointstar
Old 01-18-2015, 09:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

All the above are great recommendations. Its always that one part you didn't replace that takes a dump on a Sunday, do as much as you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.