Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels >

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 09-12-2019, 02:52 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Final fit majority of the helm hardware yesterday.

Still waiting on some warning lights and correct head style stainless screws. But for most part it came out pretty close to how I envisioned. Left some empty spaces for extra buttons, switches, gauges or things to be added. Couldn't decide on white or black rockers. Believe we will stick with black on black, but add laser etched white lettering for an update. Radio mic fits sweet in this spot, and is accessible with left or right hand.

Now to wire everything up.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:56 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 19 Posts

WOW! It’s really coming to life now!

Go KID Go!
Old 09-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 2187
WOW! It’s really coming to life now!

Go KID Go!
You are bound to have ants in your pants seeing this project from afar.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Registered

To be honest, after over three years, it is really starting to drive me mental!

I can’t wait to meet Ken in Florida so we can turn some heads!!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 09-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 2187
To be honest, after over three years, it is really starting to drive me mental!

I can’t wait to meet Ken in Florida so we can turn some heads!!

Cheers,

Dave
Soooo, we will be seeing you guys in Key West in November?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Registered

We shall see.....
Old 09-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Registered

After 3 years being stuck onboard this vessel, I don't even like boats anymore.

Do have a nice shop to work in finally if I did ever find playing with boats pleasurable again some day.. Five 70' bays with insulated 18' ceilings. Temp stays pretty decent till around 5pm, then ya open the big doors to cool it off for the evenings.

Would love to make Key West. Missed the Bahamas run, which we really wanted to do. Guess we could offer to run some ferry trips over there now if nothing else...

If I build a bar in the shop and hire a couple hot waitresses to mix drinks all day, would that interest anyone in helping out?

Old 09-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 420 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo

Awesome build!!!!

I'm not sure what the 3 switches control in front of the throttles but I installed trim tab switches in a position like your 3 switches in front of throttle. I thought it was enough room. I hold my throttle like you are holding in the picture. I let someone else drive with larger hands and he was really holding onto throttle. When he went wot, his hand hit the 2 trim tab switches and he made the tabs go down as we were moving. It wasn't good. After he shut it down, we realized what happened. I had to make an angle spacer to give the switches more clearance.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Registered

Those are the tab switch rockers.
Kinda reason I put them there, so you can only hit UP, and possibly push the combo down button with your thumb if you did wanta drag both at WOT. But your fingers can only touch tops once you break 3/4 mark. :-)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Registered

Here is what I was talking about on the throttles to rockers clearance. Like many parts on this build, I probably spent more time thinking about the design than necessary. But I completely agree with your findings. What fits your hands might not fit the next person at the wheel. And dropping a tab down at high speed is usually frowned upon by the experts...

The other switch placement option was put the rockers above the Simrad, but that displays primary job is as trim indicator. Receiving N2k trim signal from a DriveSync unit, linked to the three buttons on sticks. The button you can't see is a preset level trigger for the drives. Click it and peg it...

Simrad's OS has a popup option for trim changes. Anytime drives or tabs move, it switches pages to display the position. Then switches back to previous page after couple seconds. So putting the rockers above it would have blocked the view whenever ya need it. With this setup, the Axiom 7 MFD in center can be used strictly for more important tasks like navigation, cameras, stereo remote, and tracking fuel economy data.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.