Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels >

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 07-23-2020, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I feel very fortunate...just got the call I'm positive for COVID. My 17 yr old daughter tested positive. She had a fever for 2 days and sinus congestion. I started having sinus congestion and loss of taste so got tested. I never had a fever, just sinus congestion, slight cough, loss of taste and a bit tired. I'm glad I'm not as extreme as your symptoms!
Get well and keep up the progress.
The following users liked this post:
kidturbo (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

We are both feeling a little better here today. My fever stayed down without meds most of the day. Also finally received our latest test results, both negative again. Which now makes me wonder, what the heck I have, once again.. So my wife goes to her Dr today to get checked out now that she's tested negative, and they run a bunch of new tests. Best they could find on site was sinus and ear infections. Suggested she get retested for Covid-19 again tomorrow because nothing else checked all the boxes.

I started off yesterday feeling really good, then by 4pm was toast.. So going to bed early tonight and see how the night goes. Sore throat stared couple hours ago, guess we'll see how feels in the morning.

Sorry to hear you and your daughter have tested positive Joe. Hopefully yours stays in that Corona Lite range. Setting around locked down you'll likely find yourself reading or watching videos about others experiences. One of my favorites is Chris Cuomo, who documented it in a day by day this is what rundown, and a couple shorter videos on CNN. He talks about the turn around day 10 when his fever broke, and then couple days later it in his throat and chest. Was down a good bit longer after that still testing Positive. But just think, in a couple weeks, you should be pretty Covid-19 bulletproof for next 4-6 months at minimum. :-)
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (08-01-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 01:43 AM
Registered

Ok feeling better today. Still no idea what we have, but gonna try another antibodies test on Monday. Since I have results of one from April showed basically zeros, guess this is a last ditch rule out Covid-19 this time. If this ain't the Ronna, it's a dang good counterfeit..

Worked on the drives today under my new Corona Lite Tent.. Guess how I came up with that name, see below.. Anyways I decided the upper gear sets needed an actual way to check the oil without pulling the inspection plates. So I ran a line off the top of the old fill tube fitting, and picked up a couple Bravo1 reservoir tanks. Going to mount them on transom at a level just above the factory reservoir on the gear set. They won't run fully dry sump now, but won't run dry with no warning now either..

Also have the tone rings on the drive shafts to monitor transmission output speeds. And speaking of transmissions, the Old Dominion freight line tried to adjust my shipping bill on freight back from Tyson's. We both Guesstimated the pallet and both transmissions weighted just under 350lbs. Well at the terminal in Joplin, they claimed their scales weighed them at 1900lbs.. So I get a bill for $500 extra shipping.. Lucky for me, due to my covid lockdown, they are both still on the pallet in bed of my truck. So I took a ride back to the terminal to re-weigh the load.. Now I know for certain the transmissions weight no more than 150lbs each. And the shipping company owes me a rebate on 40lbs of freight.. Pretty goo guess I would say..

The following 4 users liked this post by kidturbo:
2187 (07-26-2020), 92nsx (07-29-2020), Gimme Fuel (07-27-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (08-01-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 09:22 PM
Registered

Few more pics from yesterday and today. Finally unwrapped transmissions in the bed of my truck, dropped the pans, and cleaned the pickup screens. While we drained the oil pan on the bench with the first transmission in Joplin, it's not necessary to remove the pan to go replace the clutches. So on the second one, which wasn't smoked, someone over in Joplin, not mentioning any names, "Tyson", didn't drain the oil out of the pan.. Lucky for him, it was my helper who took the bath in transmission fluid yesterday when he removed it. I just had to scrub the driveway before the wife got home... You Almost Got Me!!

This morning I called up a buddy with a service rig crane, an hour later, both transmissions were bolted back into place. Making some progress again, finally.

The following 3 users liked this post by kidturbo:
2187 (07-31-2020), Gimme Fuel (08-03-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 12:11 AM
Registered

Other progress of the week. Think I finally have the gear reduction boxes oiling sorted out. The two gear, port side unit seems to have been operating and oiling fine so far. However the four gear starboard case, seems to have pumped itself dry before our last trip out. I purposely overfilled that case, and most of the gear noise went away. So while down, I pumped all the oil out of both units, and the evidence was pretty straight forward. Port side oil looked like new, while Stbd looked like it came from the rear differential of a 300k mile truck. And most of that oil only had 45 minutes run time on it..

To evacuate the dry sump tank and lines, I pressurized the case with air hose through the fill tube, and took that feeds the pump, and stuck that in jug. Quickly learned that one, there was no vent port on that case. Second, one of the external alum tubing lines was where all the oil exited the case. With the setup how it was, the fill tubes were also the dipstick tubes. Stick a wire down the tube and try to read how much oil is in the sump case.. I understand dry sumps, but when they run dry, they really suck,, air..

Last trip out I overfilled that Stbd case on purpose, where is had oil about 1/4 way up the gears. Noticed no power robbing issues, just didn't scream "I'm Out Of Oil" any longer. So after we inspected the pumps, found not bearing damage, the only thing left was make sure they don't run out of oil. On port there was a factory vent tube, so that one just needed the reservoir bottle with float switch plumbed up. Starboard also needed a vent tube added to the case. Which we did by connecting a 90deg hose fitting on top of the dry sump pan, and routed hose fwd through the extension boxes to the Bravo fluid tanks.

Easy enough right.. However plumbing is, and always has been my weakest skill. Can't make chit run down hill I've been told before. So when I mounted the bravo oil tanks, I was thinking I could keep the oil level in the case right at or about the same level as the dry sump case. But once I filled the clear plastic tanks, I noticed they didn't gravity drain into the gearbox as I expected. And I could easily blow air in the vent tubes back into the tanks, and get bubbles before oil. The tanks would never drain down enough to trip the float switch and warning light if they sprung a leak.. Ah crap, I really do suck at this... But I decided to draw it all out on paper, and soon realized the 90AN fitting on top the dry sump reservoir, along with my hose routing was at least two places for air to get trapped. I raise the tanks up about 3 inches, where everything runs slightly down hill, and it actually drained with cap off tanks. But still drained slow with cap on.. Bravo oil tanks have that little one-way vent in the cap.. Scrapped that, remounted the tanks a few inches higher, and wow it works as planned with no air trapped in the system.

Only down side is they are now not fully dry sump, both cases have about half the lower gear submerged in oil now. Which also cut the distance the rotary vane pump need to pull by half.. So no leaks, and we'll soon see how it works out.. Might cost a few HP, but right now we have plenty to spare..

Last edited by kidturbo; 08-01-2020 at 12:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kidturbo:
2187 (08-01-2020), Gimme Fuel (08-03-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

The uniform plumbing code is a book, but i'm waiting for the movie to come out

Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by outonsafari:
2187 (08-01-2020), kidturbo (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh boy...I see a couple of holes that needed to be patched now...
The following 2 users liked this post by pasquesi:
2187 (08-01-2020), kidturbo (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

You should rename this thread to, “TENACITY “.
The following 4 users liked this post by Twin O/B Sonic:
2187 (08-01-2020), Gimme Fuel (08-03-2020), kidturbo (08-01-2020), rak rua (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pasquesi
Oh boy...I see a couple of holes that needed to be patched now...
Gotta give these kids something to keep em outa trouble.. Half dozen people around here with no previous skills, now know how to do fiberglass repair.. Last one actually ask if maybe we should test this draining principle before mounting those reservoir tanks. I said don't be stupid, drill those dang holes, Agian... LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by kidturbo:
2187 (08-01-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (08-03-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

Found this thread very interesting to follow. Don’t know kidturbo but knew from posts he got pretty sick during this. Any updates on his condition and project?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.