40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels >

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 10-29-2020, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Didnt you say, early in this thread that these drives were know from military use?

If so, I’m curious to their success record?

Were they known as bullet proof drives and we’re just applying 500% more torque than they were designed for?

And, I don’t remember the drives in the magazine picture being purple.
There is a reason they are no longer made, and there is a reason everyone sells them (even if they tell you different!!). I don't think more than a couple sets were ever made in total.
A big Skater on the West coast ran them for some time. Every time they ran they had issues,(full of water,etc). I have no doubt Weisman is an amazing builder/machinist, but these never had enough factory R&D. The owner was finally sick of breaking every time and went back to 6's, in fact, I think they went to the Weisman true dry sump number 6. This is a losing game for you guys. Also, when you mentioned that one of drives was painted purple at some point, I'm 99% sure these were on that Skater. No more parts, and what is out there is used up 4 boats back.

You are absolutely amazing kidturbo, but stop wasting time with these.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Charli
There is a reason they are no longer made, and there is a reason everyone sells them (even if they tell you different!!). I don't think more than a couple sets were ever made in total.
A big Skater on the West coast ran them for some time. Every time they ran they had issues,(full of water,etc). I have no doubt Weisman is an amazing builder/machinist, but these never had enough factory R&D. The owner was finally sick of breaking every time and went back to 6's, in fact, I think they went to the Weisman true dry sump number 6. This is a losing game for you guys. Also, when you mentioned that one of drives was painted purple at some point, I'm 99% sure these were on that Skater. No more parts, and what is out there is used up 4 boats back.

You are absolutely amazing kidturbo, but stop wasting time with these.
Thanks for the complement. My research also says these were once on that Skater. All the spare new / used pieces that came with, speaks to the same. As stated, they really needed some further R&D time before release. There was a few sets actually tested by the navy I know, and I kept hoping one would pop up at auction. So far I have managed to get them to stop leaking, water into the lower unit that is... LOL

Before we toss in the towel, I wanted to review the design with another builder of similar products. Also someone who can replicated the gears I need in a jiffy. That would be Craig at SCS Gearbox up here in Ohio. We concluded the overall design of these gear reduction / reversing boxes is good. Gear oiling is important, and these units could use some upgrades in that department. So we are gonna toss a couple new gears in there, and use up some of thee spare cases that were just laying around for one last try next month. If they fail again, then there will be plenty of spares part for that guy who owns the single engine setup ...

Let me know if anyone sees a good pair of complete 6's floating around out there. If not, might have to look at using all our existing hydraulics, and sourcing the missing pieces to go with a couple of these drop boxes..

https://www.scsgearbox.com/product-c...ine-gearboxes/

Last edited by kidturbo; 10-29-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Thanks for the complement. My research also says these were once on that Skater. All the spare new / used pieces that came with, speaks to the same. As stated, they really needed some further R&D time before release. There was a few sets actually tested by the navy I know, and I kept hoping one would pop up at auction. So far I have managed to get them to stop leaking, water into the lower unit that is... LOL

Before we toss in the tow, I wanted to review the design with another builder of similar products. Also someone who can replicated the gears I need in a jiffy. That would be Craig at SCS Gearbox up here in Ohio. We concluded the overall design of these gear reduction / reversing boxes is good. Gear oiling is important, and these units could use some upgrades in that department. So we are gonna toss a couple new gears in there, and use up some of thee spare cases that were just laying around for one last try next month. If they fail again, then there will be plenty of spares part for that guy who owns the single engine setup ...

Let me know if anyone sees a good pair of complete 6's floating around out there.
If I remember correctly, wasn't there one on a 26' Eliminator? "Rocketman" I believe?

They are *****in, the look cool as ****, Pat just never gave a **** enough about them I don't think. If you already haven't, you should speak with Vern at West Coast drives. He probably has everything of what you need.
The following users liked this post:
payuppsucker (10-31-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Before we toss in the towel, I wanted to review the design with another builder of similar products. Also someone who can replicated the gears I need in a jiffy. That would be Craig at SCS Gearbox up here in Ohio. We concluded the overall design of these gear reduction / reversing boxes is good. Gear oiling is important, and these units could use some upgrades in that department. So we are gonna toss a couple new gears in there, and use up some of thee spare cases that were just laying around for one last try next month. If they fail again, then there will be plenty of spares part for that guy who owns the single engine setup ...

Let me know if anyone sees a good pair of complete 6's floating around out there. If not, might have to look at using all our existing hydraulics, and sourcing the missing pieces to go with a couple of these drop boxes..

https://www.scsgearbox.com/product-c...ine-gearboxes/
If I remember right, scs used to advertise an interesting looking drive.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Charli
If I remember correctly, wasn't there one on a 26' Eliminator? "Rocketman" I believe?

They are *****in, the look cool as ****, Pat just never gave a **** enough about them I don't think. If you already haven't, you should speak with Vern at West Coast drives. He probably has everything of what you need.
Believe this is the boat we are thinking of ?? Someone send him a txt for me please..

Old 10-29-2020, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Word is they got copied over on the other side of the pond, and the 3 letters fell off.. Besides that, they still exist here with off the shelf internals available. Could probably be easily modified to bolt up directly in place of a #6 pattern. Possibly even with an adjustable height bolt pattern like on our existing extension boxes.

Twin O/B Sonic (11-05-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

There is always the set of M8 drives that are for sale in the classifieds, $65,000, they aren't cheap but they would hold the torque. Mercury already runs them at a claimed 2000 foot pounds with their 1750 race engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andrew56:
Charli (10-30-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (11-05-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Word is they got copied over on the other side of the pond, and the 3 letters fell off.. Besides that, they still exist here with off the shelf internals available. Could probably be easily modified to bolt up directly in place of a #6 pattern. Possibly even with an adjustable height bolt pattern like on our existing extension boxes.

kidturbo (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

That’s with the original #6 transom cutouts....I made all that stuff and it’s kicking around somewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by 302Sport:
kidturbo (10-30-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (11-05-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
you mean making a copy of an arnesin is an interesting looking drive but an arnesin isn't?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.