Notices

Lengthened hull

Old 08-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

where are you located ?
i say go for it if thats what you want to do, but
just as an example, if your wanting to cut up a boat and make a mold, as you said longer and wider, i would start off with a boat that was "that" already.
so w/ a 24 x 8 cuddy/ pocket cruiser

1. you have the beam
2. you have a high freeboard in which you could cut to achieve your desired profile (i think it's called the shear line)
3. if it's too long you can shorten it.
4. it would be cheaper and easier to buy big and cut down than to cut open to lengthen and widen
5. the bigger hull probably rides / performs o.k. as designed, the lengthened and widened one who knows unless your an astrophysicist
6. if your invader is a running boat you can take a break and hit the water.

like this one for 1500. to cut down and make / shape into your plug, Regal 1989 225 SC Sport Cuddy Mercruiser 5.7

i am not trying to discourage you at all, if you can't sleep at night because you want to build your "own" boat, build it and have something to be proud of

http://www.laniermarine.com/pre_owned_list.asp?sortsel=YH&GroupBy=&newused=U&T ypeID=73

Last edited by outonsafari; 08-19-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the input. This boat needs completely redone. Floor, stringers, and transom are gone completely. I have a couple other boats in use on a regular and I've always wanted to make my own. That'swhy I've thought about doing it to this one. I may say forget it and start from scratch. Don't know yet
Old 08-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would agree that it is better to buy a bigger hull and cut it down. Either way is not that difficult with the correct planning and design. I built a saltwater flats boat by lengthening a 14' small runabout to 16' but the donor gull had great bottom design. It is fished constantly today by my friend that bought it in 2003. I built in 1995. I removed seven feet from the stern of my 35' Cigarette to make a 28' center console with an 8' beam. There is a thread on it in the Cigarette section. The hydrodynamics of a stretched hull may be a difficult design challenge. It is not something that you want to do by trial and error. It is very easy to make a one time mold, especially for a hull extension. You will need to be very careful to not build in in unintended rocker, and the bottom strakes will need to be adjusted also. The beauty of working in composites is how easy it is to alter surfaces. Let me know if I can help. Bob.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

ren you have to post pics of the work that got you there, thats a nice job
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...onversion.html

i think there was another oso thread, someone else did this as well
Old 08-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bob. I may message you for some advice if I decide to proceed with the project. You did an amazing job on your cigarette!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pictures are on the thread in the Cigarette forum. Search 28' center console conversion. I am the only one crazy enough to do that so far!