HART THROB resto / upgrade >

HART THROB resto / upgrade

Notices

HART THROB resto / upgrade

Old 11-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

the top got ground down to the coremat and 1 layer of 1708 went down the seam
after some fairing, the first pic shows the first attempt with the brushable gelcoat.
i did spray some after more grinding and fairing, it wet sanded and buffed out alright

the cross bracing is on the seam, in the end one guy can pick up the hatch put it on / off the boat no problem
and you can walk across it.
( i wouldn't pop in the jack lalane beta tape, grab the bullworker and do morning calisthenics up there ), but you can walk on it
Attached Thumbnails HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0414.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0426.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0429.jpg  

HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0430.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0437.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0461.jpg  

Old 11-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Registered

the boat has baltec bulkheads and baltek fillets at the bulkheads and stringers, the deck and dash is cored with end grain balsa right
at the front of the fairing and dash were i patched in w/ divinycel, from there back nothing.

got me thinking i don't know when bi ax started being used in boat hulls, but it's clear in 1995 and as a private venture,
they were trying to build something special: bi ax, coremat, baltec, baltec fillets, some end grain and so on,
clearly laid up light and as a race boat from the get go.
then why was the single ply stuff used on 1 hatch and the forward section of the deck.

don't get me wrong, i love the boat and hope the resto upgrade work it got keeps it in the spirit of the original build
a race boat now a race boat in spirit, believe me every inch and every little detail.

pretty sure there are 2 people involved with this boat including who i bought it from here on OSO, and would be nice to hear some lay up rigging running and racing stories

and thanks for the votes of confidence so far

Last edited by outonsafari; 11-17-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: thanks
Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Registered

jeff32, i associate screen name picture w/ what they got going on, memory serves you recently got a chris cat that your gonna do a full resto on
sorry if i got that mixed up.

vintage, coming from you after the work you did on the #2 boat, that is a huge compliment and i appreciate it.

i think there's only two or three more posts before rigging starts, then it'll get updates as each part gets figured out
and some of the rigging isn't gonna be out of the box or by the book.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari
jeff32, i associate screen name picture w/ what they got going on, memory serves you recently got a chris cat that your gonna do a full resto on
sorry if i got that mixed up.

vintage, coming from you after the work you did on the #2 boat, that is a huge compliment and i appreciate it.

i think there's only two or three more posts before rigging starts, then it'll get updates as each part gets figured out
and some of the rigging isn't gonna be out of the box or by the book.
you are right! Got the cat in april but just got started last week end . Started stripping the cabin upholstery and carpet. Nice thing is, i have a running boat so im in no rush for the cat. Really dont have much time but what i really want is to enjoy restoring it ! Once cabin is striped and engine compartment emptied, i willseparate the deck from hull, but that damn thing is fiberglassed from inside to the hull!!! Will take a little more time to do it! Thats it!

Thats why i really like reading and looking at your tread! Luckily you seem to have many pictures!!!

keep up the great work or keep posting if you already are finished with your project!
Old 11-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Registered

Default the bolster

the bolster was built almost a year ago, and there was a thread on it back then, but there was some pictures left out
they'll be in this post as back then i didn't want to spill the beans on the hatch gutter extension, new firewall,
and dash work that was being done. all three had to work together and be modified so each filled it's purpose.

the original bolster was awesome and ideally set up for racing, since the resto is race boat in spirit, and there was no place to hang out
on the boat at the dock or sanbar or where ever, a new bolster / interior was needed.

the original 3 man bolster was 6 1/2 feet wide, 2 feet tall, and 3 feet deep, you could pick it up but that was about it,
"think carrying a fridge".
Attached Thumbnails HART THROB resto / upgrade-j624x0.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0330.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0383.jpg  

Last edited by outonsafari; 11-19-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:57 PM
Registered

the new bolster was made from nida core w/ plywood perimeter, it bolts to the dash and fire wall.
the rear section "full beam" and seat backs were filled with 2 part foam like you'd put in a gas tank cavity,
then glassed over.
Attached Thumbnails HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0059.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0060.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0061.jpg  

HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0062.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0063.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0077.jpg  

HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0078.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0079.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0081.jpg  

HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0084.jpg  
Old 11-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Registered

glueing it up
Attached Thumbnails HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0086.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0087.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0088.jpg  

HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0090.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0091.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0094.jpg  

Last edited by outonsafari; 11-19-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Registered

check the fit.
the center armrest goes down on the angle natural to standing and using the throttle.
it's still crawl under / hop over, the side armrests are 18 inches wide and you can sit
on them as well as walk on to get in or acess the deck.
Attached Thumbnails HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0095.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0096.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0097.jpg  

HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0100.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0101.jpg  

Last edited by outonsafari; 11-19-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Registered

glass it up, box in the backs.
the hi backs were trimmed down to the original bolsters height. it's been up at the upholstery shop
and the lightning bolt material was in great shape and is being re used.
the whole thing gets 2 inches of high density foam including the back rest were before there was nothing there.
there is just under 2 feet of space between the bolster and firewall to hang out etc.

there was some other mods made before the top was glassed and it went to upholstery.
throttle and shift are still in the middle, but tab buttons and steering can be moved to either side.
Attached Thumbnails HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0105.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0098.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0108.jpg  

HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0109.jpg   HART THROB resto / upgrade-sany0111.jpg  

Last edited by outonsafari; 11-19-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Awesome work. Have you decided on power/drive yet? I saw a post a couple days ago where (Lee) on here has a single ASD6 That will be available soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.