Replacing old power steering lines

Notices

Replacing old power steering lines

Old 02-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing old power steering lines

I need to replace the orig power steering hoses on my '87 Cig Cafe Racer and wanted to ask if anyone knew if using 1500 psi WP lines (6K burst pressure) would be sufficient. The old lines are NRP Jones 100R5 with a 2250 psi WP, but everything I've been able to find about standard GM/Mercruiser power steering pumps is that they put out approx 800-1100 psi. I can't find a p/n on my pump, so I'm not able to get the specs on it. It will be 100 times easier to feed the new lines (which are half the OD of the old lines) from the eng compartment to the steering wheel pump). The real pain is that the old lines seem to be zip-tied to the rest of the wiring harness and run thru an enclosed 5" tube from mid-cockpit about 10' back into the eng compartment. Appreciate any helpful info.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:59 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

100R5 is a standard SAE hose spec. If you go to crimp on fittings instead of reusable hose ends a SAE 1 wire hose should be fine. If you reuse your existing fittings you will need to stay with the 100R5 house.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks for the info. We're going to use new fittings.

Last edited by OTSrange; 02-18-2018 at 10:13 AM.