Twin 496 exhaust upgrade cost >

Twin 496 exhaust upgrade cost

Notices

Twin 496 exhaust upgrade cost

Old 12-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin 496 exhaust upgrade cost

Hello fellas, i'm a soon to be owner of a fountain 35 executioner w twin 496s (all stock). I was thinking about some upgrades i might be interested in over the winter and of course a nice aftermarket exhaust is the 1st thing on my mind. Million $ question: why is a set of headers for a boat like this atleast 3k per motor, but +- $500 for the same motor (bbc) in a jet boat? The only visual difference i could tell is what looks like a water inlet for cooling on the offshore boats, and of course different bends for routing; whereas jet boat applications are ran dry.. any thoughts or input is appreciated.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome! Many threads on here about 496 exhaust and the consensus (I have read) is that you will gain little to nothing over the factory pieces...
Old 12-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Save your money
Old 12-19-2018, 07:17 AM
Registered

paint and or polish the ones you have. the manifolds look good when painted and the risers polish up pretty good. they flow pretty good.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OffshoreDre
Hello fellas, i'm a soon to be owner of a fountain 35 executioner w twin 496s (all stock). I was thinking about some upgrades i might be interested in over the winter and of course a nice aftermarket exhaust is the 1st thing on my mind. Million $ question: why is a set of headers for a boat like this atleast 3k per motor, but +- $500 for the same motor (bbc) in a jet boat? The only visual difference i could tell is what looks like a water inlet for cooling on the offshore boats, and of course different bends for routing; whereas jet boat applications are ran dry.. any thoughts or input is appreciated.
Headers for inboard Motors are water jacketed very labour intensive to make that's why they cost so much .
jet boat headers are usually single skin just like a car header .
Old 12-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

You also need a cam with higher overlap to realize the full advantage of long tube headers.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

The only two choices are Dana or CMI.

Either one will only net you about 1 MPH. The stock manifolds aren't that bad, your sound might change a tad but not much.