Carbon fiber t-top cover for 28' Cigarette cc >

Carbon fiber t-top cover for 28' Cigarette cc

Notices

Carbon fiber t-top cover for 28' Cigarette cc

Old 02-21-2019, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carbon fiber t-top cover for 28' Cigarette cc

Always wanted a solid carbon fiber top for my Cigarette Racing Team 28' center console. The current top is laced Sunbrella which is great. The top is 70" wide and 102" long. Has a rolled 1" edge to cover the horizontal tubing on the top for a custom look. Built the mold from melamine with molding clay for the radiuses. Layup starts tomorrow. Schedule is one layer 5.7 oz. carbon, 22oz. S-glass cloth, 1708 layer, two layers of 5.7 oz. carbon with epoxy resin. Not coring it as there is so much tubing support for it and it will be totally stiff anyway. The underside will be clear finished carbon. The top will be either offwhite gelcoat or linear urethane paint. And yes polyester gelcoat will adhere to an epoxy substrate. West system has done a lot of research on the subject. Will post pictures if anyone is interested. Need a winter project. Just hope that we can get it up the basement stairs. 1/4" clearance with the template. LOL. Thanks. Bob.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

Yeah we want pictures ! Pics are snaki cakes dude
Also explain why your putting s glass 1708 and whag you know about the gel epoxy compatibility
Old 02-25-2019, 10:55 AM
Registered

Had cloth left over from the hull. Did not want to core it, but wanted a little thickness beyond just carbon. Have used West system for 30 years, and have talked to Gougeon many times for advice. They have done extensive testing on bond strength with polyester gelcoat applied to an epoxy laminate. Need to make sure that there is no residual amine blush on the epoxy. Their tests show that the bond to epoxy is as strong and sometimes stronger than the bond to a polyester laminate. Do a search on their site for more info. Thanks. Bob.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Registered

Popped the laminate from the mold before 1708 layup. Wasn't going to be able to get the top out of the basement without some flex. LOL. Now waiting on a shipment of 1/4" Nidacore honeycomb that I will use instead of 1708. Great product. The 70 X 102 top weighs less than 20 lbs with the carbon and 22oz glass layup so far! I will get some pictures posted.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Registered

I guess that I can not post pictures. If anyone wants to post them, I will email them to you. Thanks. Put the unfinished hardtop on the T-top, and put the storage cover over it for the impending snow storm. At least it fits properly..
Old 03-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rossdickman @ live . Com

Lets see this thing
Old 03-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Here are the pics...i will let Bob explain them

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Last edited by Wally; 03-04-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Registered

Thank God for melamine and aluminum HVAC joint tape. Epoxy just does not stick to melamine, and the tape has some coating that is a super release agent!. The carbon top should weigh in at about 35 lbs when done. The top icture of the T-top shows the lacing for the Sunbrella top. The bottom picture shows the carbon top in place. Thank you Walter for posting my pictures. Bob.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:32 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

turned out good....did you clear coat it or leave it like it is?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Registered

When the lamination is complete, the outside will be Hatteras off white, either gel coat or urethane paint, to match the hull. The underside will be clear coated to show the carbon fiber.