454 mag mpi upgrades >

454 mag mpi upgrades

Notices

454 mag mpi upgrades

Old 05-21-2019, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 mag mpi upgrades

Just bought my first boat yesterday, donzi 22ZX. Needs a short block for the 454 mag mpi. My plan was to do some small upgrades to the motor while it’s out of the boat and in pieces. Thought about upgrading the cam but I know nothing about the duration, lift, etc..
Also I’ve read about people ditching the MPI and switching to a carb setup. Is that a good idea or should I stick with the mpi?
Any other upgrades I should do within a reasonable price? Header maybe? Not trying to get a crazy amount of hp out of it, just a little extra power and a better sound than factory.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice good luck with it don't get crazy 454 magnum stock will push that boat pretty good! MPI is carb set up??
Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I have the big bulky intake plenum. I was Thinking of switching to a carb setup and having a better flowing intake on top. Just not sure if that’s a better route to go or not
Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Changing cam will need reprogramming.

mark boos precision marine (PMEFI.com) is one of the go to guys for people of this site and others. He goes by Cal Man here.

Do a search and give a call as he will have tunes for several different config's and will tell you, if you ask, what to buy before you do.

Welcome to Precision Marine Performance Engines