1981 Nordic Viking 26 - Restoration

Notices

1981 Nordic Viking 26 - Restoration

Old 07-01-2020, 05:29 PM
Nex
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1981 Nordic Viking 26 - Restoration

A number of months back, I traded my R1 straight across for a project boat. It's a 1981 Nordic Viking 26. It is a bit of a mess and will be a long term project, (as most boats are). I like the lines of the older boats and it is also my first boat. So I will probably be asking a lot of questions going forward. It has twin chevy 350s and has been updated once before. But years of neglect has taken a toll so I have an uphill battle in front of me.

I have already fixed the steering which I have been told is nice to have and one of the inboard tilt motors. I have also cut out the frozen serge brakes and will replace them with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. The next step is a new engine hatch cover. The guys at Nordic recommend using hood hinges from a 1970 Chevelle. So I have those and some lumber and will start laying out a plan this weekend.

Looking forward to the headaches that are about to begin...

Last edited by Nex; 07-01-2020 at 05:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (08-27-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Nex
Registered

I have mounted and wired up the battery switches. You can access them under the bench seat.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nex:
larslindroth (07-03-2020), Padraig (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 498 Likes on 273 Posts

Cool old ride!
Old 08-26-2020, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice project!
Old 08-26-2020, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Boat is pretty unique compared to everything else that look like they came from same mold. I love threads like this, you get to see different things. Fuel tanks along side motors,she must sit bow up with attitude in the water. Keep pics coming as you make progress
Old 08-27-2020, 04:51 PM
Nex
Registered

Been a little bit since an update. It's slow going as I am doing it myself while slammed with work and school.

I have most of the engine hatch cover fabbed up now. I built a floating wall that is pinched between the rear seat and hatch cover side rails. I left it floating so I can remove it when working on the engines. This is to provide support in the middle of the cover for when people are sitting on it.

The hatch cover base is made. Waiting on some hinges before I sheet the top to finalize the fitment and then move on into fiberglass work. Which I hope to be in over the winter. I found some smooth hood pins which will keep the front of hatch down. I am looking at adding vents over all 4 exhaust manifolds so they don't melt the cover and also allow airflow out.

I had some hinges from a 1970 Chevelle which Nordic recommended but they will not work due to the modifications which happened before I got the boat. Side fuel tanks and the need to still want to change spark plugs did this idea in. So going with some long hidden hinges and a gas strut option.

With about an inch of room from the air cleaner to the bottom of the hatch, I thought I was going to have to run a hood scoop off an old 80s dragster. Instead I am planning on adding some side scoops to direct air into the engine compartment and vent out over the exhaust manifolds.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Beautiful, classic rig.

Part of the fun of an old classic like this (I have done many) is, it’s not s Ferrari.

Make it work, make it yours.

If you do quality work, it won’t let you down while you own it or when you sell it.

Good stuff.
Keep the pixs coming.