Modify my existing boat or buy newer

Notices

Modify my existing boat or buy newer

Old 07-20-2020, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Modify my existing boat or buy newer

Hey guys,

Im new too the site and looking for some honest advise on a direction too go. I currently own a 1989 ChrisCraft Scorpion 210 cuddy cabin with a 260Hp 5.7 and an Alpha 1 drive, I have nothing but good things too say about this boat, she has been so reliable and just an awesome problem free boat. I have been on the hunt for something with more bite, my main search was a Baja 252 Boss with a 7.4 or 8.1 or something along those lines but so hard too find. I have also looked at a Stingray 230Sx with a 496 but everyone feels there stuff is GOLD right now.

I had an idea, what if I remove the 5.7 in my current boat and swap in a built up 6.0 LS platform engine and maybe remove the Alpha 1 for a Bravo drive. My question is can the hull design handle going from a 260Hp setup able to push the boat to 48-50mph to an engine well over 400hp capable of 60+mph. Im spit balling ideas so I figured Id run it pas people who may have done this before.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

you will $$$ ahead and retain $$$ on resale if you bought the boat that fits your needs vs breaking open a can of worms on a project boat and later trying to sell that project boat...my advise is to enjoy what you have until the right boat/price point comes along.
The following users liked this post:
93 shooter (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I was thinking that would be the suggestions I just wanted to hear it from an outside source. It would be a cool project but a total loss of money for sure!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

You should look at rebuilding the motor you have. Get a stroker kit from Summit and a bit more cam and some decent low cost aluminum heads, intake and carb and you could have what you want pretty inexpensively. When you change engine types you have to change everything, that gets expensive. 400HP is not a hard target to hit with your 5.7.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

If your boat was a bravo drive - you would have a lot of power options....400hp+ Alpha - you will have to expect the weak link to be the drive(s) (rated to 300hp gas)

As it sits, you combo is pretty much one of the most reliable combos built in single or twin applications - they just lack that extra oomph of speed that everyone always wants.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:25 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

I disagree with most all the responses.

This is my opinion, that is all.

Resale on a 1989 5.7 Alpha boat ? Cone on, you gotta chuckle when you think about that again. What it’s worth to the OPin terms of fun, use, relaxation, etc is totally different.

Unreliable small block carbureted power ? Who’s done that ?

OP: I think the the bigger thing than power upgrades is do you want a different boat or not. If it’s time to move on, then it’s time to move on.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 493 Likes on 269 Posts

If you think you want to go bigger and faster in the near future, save some money and buy bigger and faster.
As soon as you pull the engine out, you will find way more stuff to do than you anticipate. All hoses, wiring, stringers and transom would be the first on the list. Anything you invest into it will net zero return on resale. If you love the hull, and it's absolutely perfect for your current and future needs, and you want to make this boat your own by knowing every nut and bolt intimately, then by all means begin the restoration process. Whatever you think the budget will be, double it. Whatever you think the timeline will be, triple it.
The following 2 users liked this post by resurrected:
93 shooter (07-20-2020), rak rua (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 02:39 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

You are correct in that the Alpha drive won't handle much more than your throwing at it now. The absolute cheapest way to run around the lake faster is to push the throttles further forward and expect to rebuild (stock) that engine a year or 2 sooner than you would have.

Otherwise, buy a faster boat. If everything you find for sale is bringing top dollar....maybe yours will bring top dollar too?
Old 07-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

If you LOVE the boat then hop up the engine you have and converting to a Bravo is pretty straight forward.
https://www.boattrader.com/resources...le-conversion/

A complete used Bravo assy will be $4-5k and then a few more $k into the engine. When it’s all said and done you’ll be into it $10k. Is it worth it?

Don’t bother with the LS. Still way too many headaches for a marine conversion.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:09 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

How many of you guys say the Alpha will blow up has blown up an Alpha ? And with what engine / boat combo ? And be honest if shifting too high an rpm when it blew.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.