Buying older OB cat >

Buying older OB cat

Notices

Buying older OB cat

Old 01-21-2022, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying older OB cat

Looking at a few 1995 to 2005 OB cats 28-32ft. Spectre, Motion, ect. Most have been repowered with updated 300xs. Any advice in terms of things to look out for with the hulls? Should I be concerned with a fully wrapped hull?
Old 01-21-2022, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ToysRfun View Post
Looking at a few 1995 to 2005 OB cats 28-32ft. Spectre, Motion, ect. Most have been repowered with updated 300xs. Any advice in terms of things to look out for with the hulls? Should I be concerned with a fully wrapped hull?

Not sure this is the right section for this question but a big thing to watch is the fuel tanks. The Spectres have aluminum tanks, that is a very good thing. I believe most 30' Motions had fiberglass tanks and I know all the 28 Skaters do. Most of the fiberglass fuel tanks need to be rebuilt as the ethanol in modern fuel causes the resin in the fiberglass tanks to break down. I have heard tank rebuilds are up to at least 8 grand.

I will say the Skaters are probably the best built and perform the best but the Spectre provides a great value. Their is a 30 spectre in the classifieds now that has never 300xs and an updated dash. The add says that grants did the re-rig a few years ago. That would be a boat I would take a close look at.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't sure about the best place to post, but figured the boats are about the age that they are getting redone or due to be. Seems like re-power, interior and electronics are all on the list. Was wondering if anyone who has done refits came across issues to be on the look out for. From what I've read the on the tanks, seems like they weren't consistent on glass vs aluminum, saw a bunch of smaller motions that had aluminum tanks, but seems the 30s had Glass.
Spectre 30 in classifieds Sold, was under deposit by the time I reached out. There was another in TX that also just sold.