Smuggler 28ft. I/O to OB Conversion

Notices

Smuggler 28ft. I/O to OB Conversion

Old 03-01-2022, 03:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Smuggler 28ft. I/O to OB Conversion

Hello all!
My newest project will be a long project so I decided to make a thread about it, if someone is interested to follow along. Im also making video series about this project into Youtube: BCB Boats Garage.

So this project is about Classic Offshore powerboat Smuggler 28 C2. These boats were made in Sweden and these hulls were called "The fastest boat in Scandinavia" back in days. Many national and international victories and also a World record.

So this boat is 28ft long and it weights about 1250kg (2750lbs). Classic deep V-hull. Today these (almost) same hulls are still manufactured by Segmo boats.
This specific boats previous engine setup was Volvo-Penta Diesel engine (sterndrive), but previous owner in Norway told me that this boat have also been with single outboard engine.
My plan is to make I/O to Outboard conversion and remove the old engine-room and make this a 7-seater. Perfect Pokerrun boat!

So original plan was to go with twin engine setup (2x 200-250hp 2-stroke DFI), but I did some calculations and talked with a guy from Sweden who has rigged these hulls for twin OBees.
I came to the conclusion that if I go with twins, I would have to use 20"-shaft engines... Otherwise my COG would go so high that the boat would be very unstable to drive at high speed.
I think aprox. 80% of V6 Outboards are with 25 or 30" shafts, so its very difficult to find two similar engines with 20" shaft (Impossible here where I live) so I decided to with single engine.
I found Yamaha F350hp V8 (25") at a reasonable price and now the project can truly begin!

To Do list for now:
- Find the engine / engines Done
- Design the bracket
- Make the bracket (fiberglass)
- Check and fix all rotten stringers / transom
- Patch the transom / sterndrive hole
- Reinforce the transom
- Find and install gas tank
- Make new floor
- Chop the windshield or make new
- Make new instrument cluster (Carbon fiber??)
- Find/make seats

Continue...
The following 2 users liked this post by BCB Boats Garage:
resurrected (03-01-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 498 Likes on 273 Posts

Welcome to OSO, your project sounds like it will be fun!
Get your post count up to 10 so you can post pictures.
The following 2 users liked this post by resurrected:
BCB Boats Garage (03-01-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Yep.
We need pixs.

Im just finishing a very similar project of converting a 25’ Checkmate, single IO to twin OB’s.

I am luckier over here with motors than you are.

I powered mine w/carbureted, 25” Johnson 225 hp motors.

I built my own fiberglass bracket too.
Which was way more work than I expected!

I have it mounted to work w/the 25” motors but can switch to 20’s if I need to.

Please keep us posted on your great project!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, the motor should be on the inside of an old Smuggler 28
I have a Smuggler 28 Cabin - a family cruiser, my boat is a floating restoration.
(Need to get a few more posts to be able to attach pictures)

Any updates on your build BCB?

Old 08-18-2022, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by BCB Boats Garage
Hello all!
My newest project will be a long project so I decided to make a thread about it, if someone is interested to follow along. Im also making video series about this project into Youtube: BCB Boats Garage.

So this project is about Classic Offshore powerboat Smuggler 28 C2. These boats were made in Sweden and these hulls were called "The fastest boat in Scandinavia" back in days. Many national and international victories and also a World record.

So this boat is 28ft long and it weights about 1250kg (2750lbs). Classic deep V-hull. Today these (almost) same hulls are still manufactured by Segmo boats.
This specific boats previous engine setup was Volvo-Penta Diesel engine (sterndrive), but previous owner in Norway told me that this boat have also been with single outboard engine.
My plan is to make I/O to Outboard conversion and remove the old engine-room and make this a 7-seater. Perfect Pokerrun boat!

So original plan was to go with twin engine setup (2x 200-250hp 2-stroke DFI), but I did some calculations and talked with a guy from Sweden who has rigged these hulls for twin OBees.
I came to the conclusion that if I go with twins, I would have to use 20"-shaft engines... Otherwise my COG would go so high that the boat would be very unstable to drive at high speed.
I think aprox. 80% of V6 Outboards are with 25 or 30" shafts, so its very difficult to find two similar engines with 20" shaft (Impossible here where I live) so I decided to with single engine.
I found Yamaha F350hp V8 (25") at a reasonable price and now the project can truly begin!

To Do list for now:
- Design the bracket
- Reinforce the transom
- Make new floor
- Find/make seats

Continue...
Whats the beam? Just know that flywheels are a service item on that engine and certain RPMs should be avoided, that’s why they are cheap. At least they sound nice.

Yamaha Vmaxes are 20” I believe. And Suzuki 250SS. Im not sure if there are counter rotating models with 20” shafts though.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (08-20-2022)
Old 04-21-2023, 07:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BCB Boats Garage
Hello all!

To Do list for now:
- Design the bracket
- Reinforce the transom
- Make new floor
- Find/make seats

Continue...
Any updates? Would love to see some Smuggler action
Twin O/B Sonic (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 07:22 AM
Registered

A few pictures of my floating project.
Smuggler 28 Cabin.
The pictures are from last summer, the sea is still frozen where I live.

Heading towards the water

Floating

Chevrolet BB

Docked
Old 04-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Good Luck with the conversion project!

Interesting cat walk dock systems you have there in Sweden -more practical than the reverse in and tie off as in the southern EU.
Old 04-21-2023, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Good Luck with the conversion project!

Interesting cat walk dock systems you have there in Sweden -more practical than the reverse in and tie off as in the southern EU.
Well it's not me who's doing the conversion, I kind of hoped to bring life to an old thread by posting some pics of another Smuggler.
TS lives in Finland, I live in Sweden.