Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Restoration, Repower, and Tribute Boat. >

Restoration, Repower, and Tribute Boat.

Notices

Restoration, Repower, and Tribute Boat.

Old 08-18-2023, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoration, Repower, and Tribute Boat.

So, as the title suggests.. I am working on my new to me 2000 Donzi Z3250 Express Cruiser. I purchased this boat as a tribute to my Father who passed the year after it came out, he saw the boat, fell in love with it as it was to replace his 28' or 31' Grady White (forget how big the boat was then) so we could fish the Atlantic, and also use it to go to the Bahamas as a family. Suffice to say, fast track to today, and I have found on a fluke a nearly perfect condition, one owner Z3250, with 400 hours on the vessel. Did it need some work... Umm yeah, and work it needed. The Boat Broker did make some major exaggerations, omitted a lot of pertinent facts, details, and likely knew more than he is even admitting to of known now.

Regardless, I have completed thus far a large host of repairs including a full 454 Repower after the starboard motor failed entirely due to a poor rebuild, and wound up with a bent pushrod, spun rod bearing, all main bearings, including one rod that was knocking. The block was a Gen VI, but had Gen IV heads, and Gen VI plugs on both motors. So, yeah rather than deal with other issues, I simply purchased a new motor and begun the rebuild from a new assembly. After trying to find, and solve many electrical gremlins from bad sensors, to corroded wires, and broken terminals. I finally have a boat that's running. However, not as the boat was described to be already sitting with two freshly rebuilt motors, and not needing anything more than servicing to maintain while I source and decide if I wanted to repower with inboard 8.1's or 8.2's or go all out and slap on triple 300's, or 400's or quads with a sea-keeper II.

The boat is in really solid shape, hull had no damage to the gelcoat, and was sitting on blocks at the marina for 5 years after the previous original owner had parked it when we was 72, until he sold it to me because he was simply getting up there in age, and no longer needing, or using the boat. Which with only 400 hours accumulated in 23 years, he barely used it to begin with. The boat does have every option available to it from it's build date including:
  • Kohler 7.3KW Gas Generator
  • Full Heat, and AC
  • Vacuflush Head, Shower, and Hot Water heater
  • Twin Burn Stove, Sink, with Microwave, Fridge, and Coffee Machine
  • all cushions for v-birth, aft cabin, and galley, and in good condition
  • Cabin area is modern looking with white vinyl and looks brand new even today
  • Seating above is all in good enough condition to work with, and use for templates
Engine wise, it has a set of twin 454 MPI 7.4L Mercruiser V8's matted to a Velvet Drive with a 1:1.5 gearing. It's really hard to determine what the real true top speed is or was of this configuration seeing as Donzi back in the day advertised this series as having a top speed of up to 50 MPH, and others have with the MAG 7.4 and Bravo IV's stated they've seen speeds upwards of 60+ MPH. However, even after refreshed motors, and serviced v-drives, I am lucky to hit 35 MPH in this boat. That being said, the bottom paint.... well... It is terrible, "done professionally" but looks like a 3-year old could've done a better job and has massive chunks of it missing in sections.

Suffice to say, I planned on finding a wrecked boat or boats from insurance salvage, or online to repower the boat, I do plan on restoring it, and modernizing it to make it a boat I can in turn pass onto and down to my boys as well. So, I am looking for some feedback as to just the reality of what all to do repowering wise to get me closer to the 60MPH range, or at a minimum back to the claimed original 50 MPH Target at WOT to cross the ICW, and into the Keys, or the Bahamas if I need/want to go Miami Vice style crossing.

I like the idea of a set of triples, and yes go big or go home quads as it'll give me room to intall larger fuel tanks down in place of where the motors are. I can then open up more area to as well install a sea-keeper for when we're off deep sea fishing to. Yes, I know how costly this will all be. However, time is in my favor, I paid cash for the boat, owe nothing on her, and have plenty of time to watch auction sites, and salvage yards to find my linty of parts I'll need to acquire. I plan on making this a Father/Son Project to document it on video so that I can keep this as a history for my boys to hopefully share with their kids should they have any.

So, my question is, if I were to stick with inboards, forgo closing in the hull from the v-drive tunnels and such, will the existing v-drives handle the increase in power from the 310 HP 454's to a 500HP+ 8.2, or an 8.1L, and will it be able to turn enough to push me closer to the 60MPH, or will I also need to regear the 1.5:1 down to a 1.3 or 1.2:1 or even a 1:1 ratio to make it possible to hit the speeds I am after. Or is the only option to look at a custom bracket maybe to house, and support triples or quads in order to achieve my goal.

There is 2 or 3 things I hope to achieve with this Restoration, and Repower.
  1. Go Faster (Duhhh LOL)
  2. More reliable,
  3. Have Vessel View
  4. Maybe not possible, but be more fuel efficient when not giving her the beans and running her like it's 1990 all over again LOL.
That all being said, I am prepared for a lot of OMFG you're crazy comments, along with the go buy a new boat that will already do what you want. However, the reality it, money can buy me a faster boat, but this boat represents something more than money can buy. It was a dream for my Father who passed way to soon, and way too young at 52 while I was only 21. I have the ability now to make the dream come true, and for me, this has more value to me than just buying another boat. (Which I will by the way. this is going to be my weekend boat, while I save up for a much larger vessel... Insert 45-50' yacht type eg; Fairline (with triples) or a Azimut, etc, hence why I said saving LOL)

Here are some pictures of the work in progress....

I have done already a fair number of upgrades to her thus far, including redoing all the lighting to Attwood LED's for the Stern Light, 360° Anchor light, to the Port/Starboard Bow Lights.

Added a new Stainless Steel Five Oceans anchor, and rebuilt the windlass so she now also works again. T-Top's in great condition and plan on adding a set of outriggers, as well as a shade extension aft.

A large galley with really good conition seating and storage. (Yes, I am upgrading the sound system to all fusion headunits, and combination of JL Audio, and Kicker Speakers)

Fairly comfortable v-birth with ample space to sleep, tons of lighting and storage.

replaced the faucet with a new one, and the head's complete. Thinking though to redo it with a proper aux shower head as I was never a fan of the sink/shower heads.

It's a really good layout overall for a weekender imho with a really tall 6'8" headroom throughout. (Good for me seeing as I am 6'2")

Along the transom on the deck level there's also a large live-well with seawater pump, and a twin sink with freshwater pumped to it. I've also taken and added a set of twin LED lights to replace the dated halogens. Deff need a swim platform if I am keeping the inboards, otherwise I want a hybrid bracket/platform if I were to do outboards.

Seating helm is so-so, can use to be redone. thinking of adding twin captains chairs. Not sure yet though as the back is also integrated into the rear seat as well.

Old 09-24-2023, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

wow, super clean boat to start with. looking good!
Old 11-25-2023, 09:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,339 Likes on 284 Posts

Very nice looking boat and great tribute to your dad. You might find out what model gearboxes your v drives are and contact the company or find a forum and ask the question there. I think the reason you haven;t gotten any feedback is this is kinda out of these guy's realm. Good luck with your project.