BRD
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a cool shot !
Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by wieland77
Should be larger...
what kind of power and how well did you run with the poker run. Im considering running boyne this summer.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by martins custom marin
what kind of power and how well did you run with the poker run. Im considering running boyne this summer.
I ve just got a single 502, 500HP. As far as how well I did, I made it. My top end is around 65 and I would say 90% of the boats running are over 80mph so I get to see everyone pass me and wave so I always try and get out front first when taking off. I really enjoy the event but I run most of the long streatchs (from Northport to Beaver Isleand and BI to Petoskey) with a couple others and then catch up with everyone at the card stops. It is a ton of fun and a great event to be part of if you can make it.

I do have to say that even though im not with the fast group the Saber gets compliments when catching all the heavy wash from 40+ offshore boats taking off and running hard and catching some nice rollers out in Lake Michigan and that is the fun part for me!!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 PM

thanks for the info, I seen it had some long runs and I didnt want to run the **** out of my boat to try to keep up. I was trying to decided between boyne and chicago, I think boyne will be the one!!! Is 65 on smooth or rough water and what prop are you running your power is pretty similar to what Im running. thanks again Martin
Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 AM
Registered

thanks for the info, I seen it had some long runs and I didnt want to run the **** out of my boat to try to keep up. I was trying to decided between boyne and chicago, I think boyne will be the one!!! Is 65 on smooth or rough water and what prop are you running your power is pretty similar to what Im running. thanks again Martin
On GPS my top end is 65.4 and that is running in good chop, on flat water usually get 61-62 @ 4900-5000 RPM. I am running a 25 pitch 3 blade mirage and I think it is stock. One of the major differences is my drive with 7 1/2 X-Dimension. Runs great in the rough stuff but cut the top end a little. What is your set up? As far as running hard, there are always a couple smaller boats that cruise the long streatches to so you dont have to worry about being last by any means, it is just fun to take off with the group and run with em for a little while.

Last edited by wieland77; 02-14-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what prop Martin is running & I am sure he will chime in but his X is just a bit higher than yours.... I just checked an old thread were he stated that Doug told him they set it at 15" which would put the propshaft around 6 13/16" below the bottom.... He measured the propshaft to hull for me several months ago & came up with 6" So he falls somewhere between 6" - 6 13/16"

Both X's seem low to me & I am still debating on exactly where to set mine.... Either way it will be higher than either of these mentioned...

Wieland77 : I can't remember but have you ever ran a 4 blade such as a bravo of Hydromotive ect.. & ifso how did it work ?? I ask b/c your prop slip is pretty high... Most 28' boats especially a single have trouble running with 3 bladers..
I have stated before but I believe the low X-dimmension on your boat & Martins is due to the fact that since your boats were built props have changed a bit allowing to run higher X's

How does your boat carry the bow ?? & If you have ran a 4 blade , Ifso what kind & how did the boat react to it ???? Bow lift -stern lift ect..

---I would love to see how your boat reacted to a 2" shortie & a 4-blade bravo or a Hydromotive quad---

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 02-14-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

On GPS my top end is 65.4 and that is running in good chop, on flat water usually get 61-62 @ 4900-5000 RPM. I am running a 25 pitch 3 blade mirage and I think it is stock. One of the major differences is my drive with 7 1/2 X-Dimension. Runs great in the rough stuff but cut the top end a little. What is your set up? As far as running hard, there are always a couple smaller boats that cruise the long streatches to so you dont have to worry about being last by any means, it is just fun to take off with the group and run with em for a little while.
If memory serve's me you have one of the first 28" Sabers if not the first. That was Craig Ellis boat here in Grand Rapids, he owns Appearance Products and I'm sure he would share a lot fo history with you.

I guess the reason I mention it being one of the first,....is I'm sure as Saber grew as a company so did Saber's knowledge of better and better set-up's on the rigging end of the spectrum.

So chances are the new 28's are running Higher ( X ) dimension's.

Here is Craig's website:

http://www.appearanceproductsinc.com/

He is doing a lot of the big names now for boat interior's too.

Jon
Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 PM

I gpsed at 69.8 at hardy dam on the smoothest water possible with my old moter it was gps 64 at Mullet lake in the perfect chop, havent had a chance to gps in good water yet with new motor. go to a 24 bravo 1 the prop you are currently running is what was stock. I talked with Jim at saber about shorty drives he said without a ex. box it would be worthless, you would lose bow lift. Mike Crawford at CT marine in Lansing has helped me with my motor and has mentioned many times that he did a fair amount of motor work on the first red saber , IM assuming it is yours If you have any questions he is the man to talk too.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Registered

I gpsed at 69.8 at hardy dam on the smoothest water possible with my old moter it was gps 64 at Mullet lake in the perfect chop, havent had a chance to gps in good water yet with new motor. go to a 24 bravo 1 the prop you are currently running is what was stock. I talked with Jim at saber about shorty drives he said without a ex. box it would be worthless, you would lose bow lift. Mike Crawford at CT marine in Lansing has helped me with my motor and has mentioned many times that he did a fair amount of motor work on the first red saber , IM assuming it is yours If you have any questions he is the man to talk too.
I do have th first Saber, atleast that is what the HIN says and what Parnell posted in another post. I havent tried a 24 4 blade but did try a 22 pitch 4 blade Bravo that greatly increased handling and control but could only turn 4700 r's with it and top out at 60. Would like to do some prop testing this summer. As far as I know the boat has always been a Western Michigan boat and The previous owners name was Dan Belka. The only history I know of the boat is what I have leared from this site. Last year Ben , at Precision Power Offshore in Grand Haven, redid my motor when I lost a push rod due to a failed roller rocker. He just did a freshin up and put a mild cam and some other stuff in it. I believe the motor is original because the serial #is from the 88-91 generation and was a 454 Bowtie that was bored to 502ci at some point.

Cougarman,

Tanks for the info for Craig. I would like to get a hold of him, especially if he does interior work. It is still original and needs a face lift. I also need a new cover that is used as the entry into the cabin, it is tinted plexiglass cover and swing in door, and it has cracked and chipped. You guys with 28's, what type of setup is you cabin entry? I have never seen another 28 in person and would'nt mind seeing some interior shots for newer styles.

I wish I could do a lot to the boat but I need to be patient due to lack of funds, can only do little things here and there when I can. Sooner or later I will get it where it needs to be. Im only 26 so as work gets better so will the Saber.Thanks, MIKE

Quick Reply: Post Saber pics here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.