New to me 28, first ride today >

New to me 28, first ride today

Notices

New to me 28, first ride today

Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New to me 28, first ride today

Bought my 28 back mid winter, been doing some updating and fixing up, finally got her out for the first time today. I have a some before and after pics, but OSO wont resize them, if someone can tell me how I will post them asap. Here is my first impression, mostly on calm water/very mild chop, full fuel 3 people.

Well, was out all day today, 10am-730pm, I have perma-grin! Was a blast, forgot how much I like boating. Boat was fine, no major issues, really like it. Did some cruising and some wide open blasts. Top speed 76 per my GPS recall but I mostly saw 74-75 @5100rpm. May need to do some prop adjustment, Chief says 5400 for redline but I have been chatting with Brett at BBlades, will give him this baseline and see what he thinks. Boat rides great, couple things I noticed right away it likes to be trimmed almost all the way in at cruise or it wants to porpise a lot, once you get to 60 though you can trim out and no issues from there on up. Kind of bugs me cause to get a good ride scrubs 4mph off my cruise. Maybe some way to fix this, props? Cruise @3300rpm 45-49 depending on trim. Couple minor issues if anyone has input, one tach wants to bounce around, the engine does not, all in the tach, bounces 1-200rpms each way pretty much constantly. Any input? My new sync doesnt work either, prob wired wrong or related to the tach thing. Also noticed and not sure if normal but never made any water temp all day on either engine, oil temp was up and down depending on how hard I was running, as high as 250-260 if I held it to the wall for a while, 140 at idle, 180-200 cruise, this normal? Thats it for today, overall very happy, cant wait for the next ride.

Last edited by hotjava66; 05-23-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

My water temp never gets above 100 unless I run at WOT. I have crossovers though.

I like these 28 sabers. Any pics? Is this a single engine boat? What kind of power?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
My water temp never gets above 100 unless I run at WOT. I have crossovers though.

I like these 28 sabers. Any pics? Is this a single engine boat? What kind of power?
I have a bunch of pics but dont know how to resize them, OSO wont do it automatically. It is a twin, 502's basically stock setup, and they have crossovers so I guess thats normal.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Use this link. Look for Image Resizer on the right about half way down.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Registered

I like the blue bezels....turned out great. My old one had that same porpoise. I think it's from the rocker built in the hull to give it more bow lift. Does it feel like it's climbing when you trim then just falls on it's face and starts to porpoise?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had VERY slight porpoise in mine if i trimmed too far out at very low speeds in dead calm water. to coreect it just had to run the drives close to nuetral... in my opinion it runs level and true, tracks like nothing i have ever witnesses and handles like its on rails. wait until you take it out in 2-3's... you will be amazed at how well it handles.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66
I have a bunch of pics but dont know how to resize them, OSO wont do it automatically. It is a twin, 502's basically stock setup, and they have crossovers so I guess thats normal.
Yep, if you have crossover the water temp will never get hot because there aren't any thermostats. There's nothing to slow down the flow of water.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Registered

You can run thermostats with crossovers. You just need the crossover with the bypass so water will flow to the exhaust until the thermostats open. It's the smaller hose in the middle of the thermostat housing.
Attached Thumbnails New to me 28, first ride today-kryptonite-045.jpg  
Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris
i had VERY slight porpoise in mine if i trimmed too far out at very low speeds in dead calm water. to coreect it just had to run the drives close to nuetral... in my opinion it runs level and true, tracks like nothing i have ever witnesses and handles like its on rails. wait until you take it out in 2-3's... you will be amazed at how well it handles.
I believe you are running 4blade props? I think that may be the difference, I just feel really light in the bow if I trim out at cruise, just takes a wave or two to start it bouncing. Funny how it quits as soon as I power up though. I agree fully on tracking and handling, its awesome, and the ride is really great trimmed in or at speed, better than anything I have experienced. Even the bounce is soft. Also this was in calm water so we'll see what happens in the chop.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdub
You can run thermostats with crossovers. You just need the crossover with the bypass so water will flow to the exhaust until the thermostats open. It's the smaller hose in the middle of the thermostat housing.
Cool, did not know that. Don't you need a water circulating pump for thermostats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.