Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Saber
-2 Lowers >

-2 Lowers

Notices

-2 Lowers

Old 10-07-2020, 12:00 PM
  #11  
Registered
 
FunHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Kansas & LOTO
Posts: 2,694
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

I'm running 85-87mph with my 450hp Small Blocks and -2 Sportmasters lowers that I have had the skeg cut down to more like a imco lower.
My Prop Shafts are still 3in below the bottom of the boat, I would like to raise them even more, like an inch or two...
That would take -3in Shorties or raise the motor and drives up this winter, then I could use spacers to bring it back down if need be.
I've run these speeds (83-87) for 15 years at the Shootout, and I've made it a goal of mine to get my boat to run 90mph at the Shootout.
Right now I'm running 30p labbed 4 blades, 1.65 gears, 5950rpm, 87mph, with a 15% slip.
Prop Slip Hering Propellers
I'd like you guys to post your set up so we can compare.

Last edited by FunHome; 10-07-2020 at 12:21 PM.
FunHome is offline  
Old 10-07-2020, 02:52 PM
  #12  
Registered
 
FunHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Kansas & LOTO
Posts: 2,694
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default My Lowers


3in Below bottom of boat.

Sportmaster -2in lower with Skeg shortened a little.
FunHome is offline  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:16 PM
  #13  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (6)
 
F-2 Speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest & T-Rock
Posts: 7,492
Received 400 Likes on 210 Posts
Default

wouldn't you measure from the bottom of the running surface, looks like about 1.5 inches
F-2 Speedy is offline  
Old 10-07-2020, 07:06 PM
  #14  
Registered
 
SABER28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: jenison mi
Posts: 1,071
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RBeyer View Post
As deep as they are I'm not sure if I will pich up anything. I guess thats why I'm asking don't want to spend useless money.
i think i posted this before but i talked to doug and he didnt think it would help much.
SABER28 is offline  
Old 10-07-2020, 08:51 PM
  #15  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
RBeyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 725
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FunHome View Post
I'm running 85-87mph with my 450hp Small Blocks and -2 Sportmasters lowers that I have had the skeg cut down to more like a imco lower.
My Prop Shafts are still 3in below the bottom of the boat, I would like to raise them even more, like an inch or two...
That would take -3in Shorties or raise the motor and drives up this winter, then I could use spacers to bring it back down if need be.
I've run these speeds (83-87) for 15 years at the Shootout, and I've made it a goal of mine to get my boat to run 90mph at the Shootout.
Right now I'm running 30p labbed 4 blades, 1.65 gears, 5950rpm, 87mph, with a 15% slip.
Prop Slip Hering Propellers
I'd like you guys to post your set up so we can compare.
I have to measure the depth compared to to the hull. I am running Bravo drives with XR Gears 1.5 spinning stock 32 bravo 4 blades at a best of 93 usually 91. Prop slip is also near 15%
RBeyer is offline  
The following users liked this post:
FunHome (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:40 AM
  #16  
Registered
 
FunHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Kansas & LOTO
Posts: 2,694
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by SABER28 View Post
i think i posted this before but i talked to doug and he didnt think it would help much.
I noticed a improvement from going to a Shortie from the Standard Length Lower. I also saw an improvement when we cut about 2in off the length of the skeg.
FunHome is offline  
Old 10-08-2020, 10:42 AM
  #17  
Registered
 
FunHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Kansas & LOTO
Posts: 2,694
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy View Post
wouldn't you measure from the bottom of the running surface, looks like about 1.5 inches
The tape is up against the bottom of the boat. (The lighting was bad so it doesn't look like it is.)
FunHome is offline  
Old 10-10-2020, 01:20 PM
  #18  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
RBeyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 725
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FunHome View Post
The tape is up against the bottom of the boat. (The lighting was bad so it doesn't look like it is.)
Are you measuring from the bottom of the Transom assembly?
RBeyer is offline  
Old 10-15-2020, 04:59 PM
  #19  
Registered
 
FunHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Kansas & LOTO
Posts: 2,694
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RBeyer View Post
Are you measuring from the bottom of the Transom assembly?
No, I am measuring how far the front of the torpedo of the lower unit (which also would be the center of the prop shaft) is below the running surface of the boat, directly in front of each the outdrive.
FunHome is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.