Newbie Scarab III buyer - comments / advice / ideas >

Newbie Scarab III buyer - comments / advice / ideas

Notices

Newbie Scarab III buyer - comments / advice / ideas

Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Scarab III buyer - comments / advice / ideas

I am moving into the 'fast boat' market but have a small-ish budget GBP20,000 / $35,000 (total) or so and am happy to buy something that needs work (upholstery / paint etc etc)....but is basically a sound boat.

I have decided a Scarab III fits my needs, it has below decks accommodation, separate head and room for half a dozen people in the cockpit...but what I am after now is some objective advice about anything I should look for.

Couple of things are in my mind:

~~1~~
The few things I know I do want are:
--TRS drives...at some point I may need to re-engine and TRS should be able to handle any new power
--Radar arch version (to have a canopy fitted for crap english weather)
--what else (you're the experts!!!!). Anything from engine suggestions / to trim colours!!!!!!!

~~2~~
The other problem is, of course, finding one...some in the US and will need to add VAT/import duty; RCD survey £3000; 220v electrics £x000; shipping $3000 and other bits....if I can find one in Europe (a few are around) then I can probably save RCD and VAT.

~~3~~
Can the engines be silenced...the "super noisy no muffler style" isn't very popular in the UK so I would want to get something that will quieten down the stock engines...this may sound like spoiling part of the fun but the Police and Harbour authorities really have no sense of humour about this sort of thing so I MUST do something.

I will be getting the boat surveyed but want to know anything that I should get the surveyor to focus on, or if there are specific extras I should be looking for.

Feel free to mail me at [email protected] too....[take out the 999]

Thanks loads for all your help!!!

Stef

Last edited by athito; 11-02-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Re: Newbie Scarab III buyer - comments / advice / ideas

Well that sounds pretty simple
Old 11-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Registered

How about a 1985 Scarab 400 with 420's and TRS and a 15,000lb hydrohoist for 50Kus in excellent condition?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Registered

Bit too many $, unfortunately....to get it back to Europe I have to pay 17.5% tax (aside from shipping etc) which makes a reasonable boat in the US quite expensive in the UK....
Old 11-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love mine.. TRS parts are still around... exaust can be worked on...even switchable exausts... I have owned mine over 5 years...call or P/m me I be more than happy to talk..Dave..cell # 216-406-0368..undefined
Attached Thumbnails Newbie Scarab III buyer - comments / advice / ideas-scarab-docked.jpg   Newbie Scarab III buyer - comments / advice / ideas-poker-run-2.jpg  
Old 11-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Registered

hmmmmmm.....how so? $$ not hard....found plenty in the price range - just want some guidance that says 'don't buy an 198x model because the ___ falls off'....

Also help in the muffler stakes would be useful!!

Cheers
Stef
Old 11-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My boat has everything you want. It is already repowered with 520HP engines, only 30 hours on them. TRS Drives with cones, Radar arch, Silent choice exhaust, Full Hydraulic steering, etc, etc. Cockpit is in good shape, just redid the carpet and all the seats are in great shape. Interior is in great shape too. Only thing left to update is the guages, they could use it. Its an awsome boat. I haven't listed it anywhere, but I was going to pit it up at 36K US. Here is a pic. PM me if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie Scarab III buyer - comments / advice / ideas-go2.jpg   Newbie Scarab III buyer - comments / advice / ideas-3054dsc00148.jpg