Whats It Worth >

Whats It Worth

Notices

Whats It Worth

Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats It Worth

Please help i am on my way next week to see the Larry Smith 38 being sold by Jim Earle .The boat is a 1997 staggered 38 with number 6s and Merc 1000s.Considering the CURRENT market and the fact that it is a non cabin,non stepped boat that has been for sale for years what is it worth.(Please remember this is a Larry Smith NOT a production Wellcraft.Thanks Joe.PS it comes with a nice trailer.Overall condition of everything APPEARS excellent from photos.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Registered

Its the red ,white and blue 38 on the on the offshore only classifyed .From the pictures (i pray they are RECENT )the boat shows almost new.Numbers guys, whats it worth =TODAYS MARKET.Pros=Drive ,great shape ,well built (Larry Smith ) nice traier,Mercruiser power.Cons=No cabin ,raceboat cockpit ect,(very limited resale market as the boat has been for sale forever) 97 non stepped hull alot of people feel is antiquated INCLUDING Larry Smith himself.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Registered

PS I spoke to a friend who owns a large marine in NJ This guy has had ever High Perf boat imagionable and feels that if i go over 75grand for the boat i am crazy in this market because of the hulls age,no cabin ,non stepps ect(even though it has 6s ect )Also the age f the engines ,power level ect
Old 02-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

i always really liked the look of that boat. are those normal size boxes on the 6s? they look pretty long comapred to usual.

heres a link.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o17127-en.html

best of luck with the purchase.
josh
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered

They are extension boxes =Drives further back,clean water.Big dollar race boat item
Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Anywone,anywone.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree that you could come out OK at 75 as long as it had an impecable survey and the engines were gone thorugh with a fine toth comb by someone who knew what to look for.

Those engines are old technology also.

I love that boat though, and wish I could swing something like that for my stable.

Good luck with the buy. I am looking at it from a wholesale standpoint. If you really like the boat and want the 6's then you could probably get away with a little more.

I don't remember, were those dry or wet sump 6's?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered

Jeff,they are dry sump 6s .You are exactly cottect about the engines (old technology )The problem in evaluating them is the only true way to tell their condition is to pull the heads and oil pan off .(the max price i will pay is going to factor in major rebuilds before i splash the boat.Since i am in NJ if something major goes in July iam basically done for the summer )
Old 02-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I dont see how ya could go wrong, 75,000 for a big power #6 boat......That boat is beautifull....All the right stuff cockpit,clean trailer, lifting eyes,pair of big blower motors and drives....I cant see the part that sucks about this deal....Just that i cant buy it....

Quick Reply: Whats It Worth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.