Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Scarab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab-41/)
-   -   My first offshore powerboat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab/183705-my-first-offshore-powerboat.html)

jaxx 30 04-04-2008 01:18 AM

My first offshore powerboat

I took the plunge today and brought home a 1977 Wellcraft Scarab 30. I don't know if it's a 300, panther, or what but it is now safe on my RV slab sleeping in it's slightly tattered, but soon to be fixed, two piece cover. This is my first boat project and am excited. I popped a few pics before it was put up-I'll post pics later. Reading Westcoast's thread really got me interested. I think looking at Westcoast's and Rookie's Scarab pics sold me on this and I had to have it. Of course my boat is faster.....................:party-smiley-004:

jeff32 04-04-2008 01:31 AM

have fun! post pictures as soon as possible!

scarabfun 04-05-2008 09:09 AM

great boats.

SANLEONKID 04-05-2008 09:48 AM

Welcome to the club. Everytime I get out on the water in mine I am amazed at how she handles.

Pictures, please.

jaxx 30 04-05-2008 10:31 AM

When I got the boted messing at, I already knew the starboard out drive would not raise. Other than that I thought it just needed a little TLC. Well..............I started messing with it yesterday and found the outdrive hyd. lines were not even connected. So I fixed that then realized the switch that raises the outdrive is no good. I pulled back the dash and, well, I get to find all new switches now. This will be fun. Oh well, first boat and all. I don't have much actual cash it he boat so I'm still bucks up.

I'm going to need suggestions on switches and toggles. I have outfitted race cars before but I know I need marine grade stuff for this. To bad summit racing don't do boats.

I am also in the prcess of putting up a full length awning over th boat so I'll be able to work on this thing when it gets hot. I envy the guys with $$$$$ that just store thier stuff in thier 3000 sq. ft. shops.....................................

Pics soon.

phughes69 04-05-2008 11:01 PM

You should try west marine for their electrical if you have a store near you. They will match local competetors and also internet pricing.

jaxx 30 04-06-2008 02:01 AM

Looks like west marine is where I'll go. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will throw mine up. Anybody with recommendations on deck hatches? Mine are no good. Another stupid question-how do I know if I have hydraulic steering?

scarabfun 04-06-2008 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by jaxx 30 (Post 2514695)
Looks like west marine is where I'll go. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will throw mine up. Anybody with recommendations on deck hatches? Mine are no good. Another stupid question-how do I know if I have hydraulic steering?

there will be external rams mounted on the upper gear housing to the tramsom

jaxx 30 04-06-2008 03:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics as is right after I got home with it. It's a start. From here great things will happen...............................

jaxx 30 04-06-2008 05:26 PM

Another stupid question......the electrical system is 12v, right?