What makes a Kaama a Kamma?

Notices

What makes a Kaama a Kamma?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default What makes a Kaama a Kamma?

I saw this guys ad on ebay and it seems he thinks he knows pretty much what a Kaama Scarab is. Does anybody know what REALLY makes a Scarab Kaama a Kaama?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120239027118

"
1980 38' SCARAB KAAMA (not to be confused with others out there claiming to be KAAMAs because it has KAAMA drives on it - NOT THE SAME THING). This is a real and rare KAAMA. I will prove it! I am the third owner of which none of us has used it much. This is a rare find to have a real KAAMA for sale. You will swear the boat is only a couple years old.

It contains (2) freshly rebuilt TRS drives and fresh Borg Warner transmissions

A new cockpit interior

A new interior carpet and wall material

Varnish work, and some updating.

It has the expected KAAMA interior and cockpit, as well as the expected flat deck and engine scoops (I have the original brochure picture). There is a head (toilet), galley with sink, and air conditioning which is ice cold (will demonstrate). Also, a radio with multiple speakers, courtesy lighting, hanging closet, Ice maker (don't know if it works - never used it), shore power outlet, new removable vinyl graphics, teak swim platform, tie-bar for drives, K-Planes, extra custom built-in coolers under cockpit seating (brand new and very well insulated - ice lasts and lasts), special KAAMA cockpit table built into rear of helm seat.

This is the best of both worlds... a very fast boat, yet a great family cruiser also. Especially with the 2 factory installed saddle tanks for extra gas. Therefore you have three separate tanks equaling approx. 300 gals. I am pricing the boat without engines. I have 2 454's that were 525HP (one is taken apart and ready for rebuild) that I will sell separetly if desired.The block and MERLIN square port heads have already been magnafluxed and are fine.
As far as the hull goes, it is in great condition. Probably due to the fact it has not had much use since new (I am the third owner - the other two didn't use it much either). This boat was always trailered and never sat in the water for more than a couple days at a time. The bottom has NEVER BEEN PAINTED!
That brings up another point - - - - There is also, INCLUDED, an almost new (maybe 500 miles on it) triple axle BOAT MASTER aluminum trailer with TORSION SUSPENSION and BRONZE DISC BRAKES. This trailer alone is worth $10K.
This boat was a 70+mph boat with this set-up. The transmissions have had racing style clutches installed which never even got broken in, and TRS drives are known to handle up to 1,000 HP each. I am able to store this boat if needed for $150./mo.
Power Boat Magazine said it --- "There really aren't any performance flaws in this world-class machine."
ADD ENGINES AND YOU'RE READY TO GO FOR THE SUMMER!!!!!!
PRICE IS $19,900.00 or higher
Old 04-04-2008, 08:50 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A KAAMA boat would usually have Kaama drives.
Maybe it was converted to TRS?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

That is what I would think, but I have a Wellcraft brocedure from 1080. 1981, and 1982, and the Scarab Kaama's they show are shown with TRS sterndrives. Other Scarab's that I have seen for sale on Ebay and other places that have the Kaama name on the side are still TRS drives. I have only seen one 377 Scarab that has REAL Kaama surface drives on it ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...222383296&rd=1)
Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an expert, but I have seen 377 Scarab's with TRS drives and KAAMA graphics as well. Wasn't the Kaama Scarabs the signature Betty Cook boat?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a signature Betty Cook Scarab. It has TRS drives.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics?

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 06-22-2008 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaama82
I have a signature Betty Cook Scarab. It has TRS drives.
Must be nice! Lets see some PICS!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That boat was just a larry smith scarab with some stickers on the side, nothing more. at the time larry was making these , the only other model was the 377 which was for mainstream sales. we bought one in 1979 , had some of the first arneson drives on it, broke them, them bought a set of kaama drives in 1981. My folks ran that boat every single weekend it seemed like. If any of you recall a yellow scarab that lived at 946 Sunset Dr., Costa mesa ,CA from 1981 to 1984... thats it!

This website brings back memories that i have to brush away they are so clear!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Registered

Bigbro..you Know what you need to do and what we need
Old 06-22-2008, 05:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
I'm not an expert, but I have seen 377 Scarab's with TRS drives and KAAMA graphics as well. Wasn't the Kaama Scarabs the signature Betty Cook boat?
So 377 Kaamas had Kaama Drives and a high deck ?
A Kaama SE had a flatdeck built by welcraft and had TRS drives and Kaamas as an option ?

Early LS 377/Kaamas only flatdecks and were they all Kevlar reinforced and Larrys different lamination process (=13-14 thin mats and staying in the mold for weeks?) Compared to Wellcrafts 3-4 thick mats and a day or two in the mold.
Otherwise almost identical ?

Quick Reply: What makes a Kaama a Kamma?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.