79 Scarab 377 project >

79 Scarab 377 project

Notices

79 Scarab 377 project

Old 05-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scaraboatr
Glassdave, by saying best hulls what do you mean? Was there something that was different in this hull than others? Or was it just well built? Im not too familier with the history so i like learning more about my boat. It still amazes me how smooth this boat rides, even in 3-4 chop.
Well designed and buildt with a LOT of fiberglass. It is HD and will outrun a lot of newer boats with more power/lighter weight in chop. Remember it still got the speed record from Anchorage to L.A. and plenty of people have attempted to beat it. Awesome boat overall, best high speed boat in the chop.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

couple of things to remember about this hull (includes my current boat an '83 377); great no-nonsense hull design with good old school layup schedule. it is however a production boat built by Wellcraft in which I've seen numerous shortcuts. Anything and everything that you can do to refasten, beef-up and re-engineer to newer specs will make you a happier boater. Hull to deck fastening should be redone if possible; when you remove the center section of the cockpit sole re-do the bridges, bolster mounts and rear bulkhead attachment and inspect all fuel fill and fuel vent lines; while you're at it inspect the cabin passageway and how it mates to the liner and cabin bulkhead; check the deck/dash area as viewed from the ceiling of the head( water can leak in from the windshield attachment and degrade the structure); if possible strengthen the second forward bulwark (it semi-divides the kitchenette area from the lounge area) see pix of a Larry Smith Scarab to see how the race version is set up, this will give you a visual of how and where Wellcraft necessarily took structural liberties for recreational purposes. wiring and plumbing should of course be redone to improved and modern specs. also pay attention to the engine mounts and the stringers they're attacked to as well as the condition of the transom especially where the exhaust pipes or tips go through