Offshore newbie looking at project 400 >

Offshore newbie looking at project 400

Notices

Offshore newbie looking at project 400

Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gettin wet
I got a reply from the seller this morning. Here is what he said.

"it has standard Mercruiser outdrives (Not sure if Alpha or not-would have to ask marina mechanic. The port motor was replaced just before I bought the boat. I purchased it from a friend of mine during his divorce, as he was in desperate need of money. The port motor was serviced improperly (no cracked block, but was leaking oil/water) as far as I know. He decided to go ahead and rebuild while apart, but starboard motor runs great without any problems, so he left it alone."

Oh, by the way he is a MD. Is it wrong if I try to lowball him? I mean I'm just a regular guy & I'm sure he has $ to spare.
lowball him! Most he can say is no and counter your offer!

Leaking oil/water could be a minor or major problem, I would try to get some more info regarding exactly how it's leaking
Old 06-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

low ball the crap out of him worste he can say is not atleast its a place to start
-Mike
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$10k too low? $10k plus my runabout? Don't want to offend the guy, but don't want to screw myself either.

Also, am I correct in thinking that this is the Panther Edition? If so, it weighs (according to NADA.com) approx. 6400 lbs. dry weight. How much could I expect to add in lbs. with fuel (say 1/2 tank) and the trailer? I have a 2000 Lincoln Navigator that is rated to tow up to 8000 lbs. This would be approaching its limit I am sure. What do you guys think? I would be towing it regularly about 1.5 - 2 hours each way.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fuel weighs 6.1lbs per gallon and I believe that boat has a 150 gallon tank in it so that would be about 460lbs of fuel for 75 gallons. I would guess the trailer weighs 1200lbs so that puts you at 8060lbs. This is without any gear or additonal junk that typically goes on a boat.

I would tell the guy you are just gonna throw a number out there and offer him 10K, see how he reacts.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

budget for a boat has to include boat+trailer+correctly sized tow vehicle+place to store+place to work on it+good insurance+ability to pay for fuel for both boat and tow vehicle so you can actually use the thing. I dont even know if its legal to tow a 30-40ft boat with a Navigoater. Towing regularly 1.2-2 hours each way would be a nice chunk of gas change in that vehicle as well and a 30-40ft Scarab with twin bbc is gonna suck fuel like there is no tommorow, think of $400-500 for a good weekend. Unless your wife is totally onboard with the whole thing your not going to be a happy camper.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Registered

Thumbs down

I don't like the leaking water/oil thing. If that is what he is telling you, what is he NOT telling you? Jax 30 says NO! Who is with me? Vote no on the ebay boat!! I say find something closer that you can look at with your own eyes-perhaps meet seller at the water and drive before you buy. How far away is this boat? Standard mercruiser outdrives? Claiming ingnorance about something you are selling is almost always a cover for lies and deception. He should know what he has. I vote no on the ebay boat!!!!!! Who is with me?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered

I have been looking at getting rid of my Navigator anyway. I found a nice F250 7.3 Diesel for a hell of a deal. But will a 250 be enough to pull all that weight?

I could always use/borrow my dad's 2500 HD Duramax (which I think would work, it pulls the hell out of a lot of big equipment), but I would rather not have to depend on borrowing it and having the chance of tearing it up.

I am looking into storage and I think I might be able to get seasonal storage close to the dock and with a gas station on the way to the dock so I don't have to pay dock prices. So maybe I wouldn't have to trailer it which I know would save a ton. I would have to find storage near home for the off season, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. As far as the wifey goes, well she probably isn't going to be on board at first, but I think she will be once we get on the water. If not, does anybody need a roommate? LOL

Jaxx 30 - I agree it is some concern for me as well. But I have a feeling this guy is sincere and seems to not know a whole lot about the boat. I am pretty sure it was just a get in and go kinda deal for him and when something was wrong take it to the stealerships (no offense to any dealers on here). As far as checking it out I CAN go look at it before purchase. I'll just get in my little 4 cylinder beater car and drive the 2 hours and go for a test ride, etc. So I am still debating this boat. Anymore advice guys? Oh & THANKS a million for everyones .02 and advice. I'm sure you all have saved people from making plenty of dumb a** purchases/mistakes.