Steering linkage >

Steering linkage

Notices

Steering linkage

Old 06-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering linkage

I noticed that my steering is tied together inside the transom and I have a tie bar connecting the drives as well. The previous owner actually raised the left side of the starboard engine so the exhaust would clear the "tie rod" inside the transome. Does the steering need to be connected both inside and outside the transom? Can I disconnect the "tie rod" inside the transom and just leave the tie bar on the back of the drives?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...I have my inside tie rod off. This being said you really want to make sur your outside bar is in perfect shape. New tie rod ends are a must if they look the slightest bit worn.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Yes...I have my inside tie rod off. This being said you really want to make sur your outside bar is in perfect shape. New tie rod ends are a must if they look the slightest bit worn.
Dumb question- why would you want your inside tie rod off? What would be the advantage of that?

Jaxx 30- shoot a photo and lets see what you are talking about- I can shoot some close-ups of all my stuff to give you a better idea how things fit if it would help, with everything out its easier to see- let me know.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Registered

From a simple mechanical standpoint it would seem one tie bar, be it inside or outside, should be sufficient to keep the drives pointed right, and the outermost position being most efficient. I have a hunch that there is a bit of binding going on when the drives are turned. Therefore I will be eliminating the inside tiebar. I would like to get rid of the ball joints and go with sphereical rod ends.............

As far as pics are concerned my camera downloads way to big to post without messing with resizing and I HATE IT!

I have also found there will still be interference the the steering linkage and the starboard engine left side exhaust tube/hose even after the inside tiebar is deleted. I think I have a fix for that.

Quick question for the pros........instead of having four separate engine mounts on the stringers, why not a one piece engine "cradle" that mounts on the stringers that would also beef up and add rigidity to the ass end of the boat? You could mount the engines in the "cradle" and install and pull both engines at the same time.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Registered

Question- in another thread Westcoast is asking about better hydraulic steering because his is a little loose- and as cheap as Wellcraft was I don't see them putting a extra tiebar in just for the he1l of it. Now I have never had this boat in the water yet- but my old Stinger 312 had the same steering system and it was tight- so maybe it makes a difference. Just my .02
Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottie150
Question- in another thread Westcoast is asking about better hydraulic steering because his is a little loose- and as cheap as Wellcraft was I don't see them putting a extra tiebar in just for the he1l of it. Now I have never had this boat in the water yet- but my old Stinger 312 had the same steering system and it was tight- so maybe it makes a difference. Just my .02
I removed the inner tiebar because I was messing around with drive alingnemt. I wasen't able to adjust that easly with the inner bar in place. I would have re-installed it but I dropped some of the hardware and haven't gotten around to getting the parts I need to put it back in place. Having the inner bar out has nothing to do with the play in my steering. The play is from the tiller arm and the upper swivel shaft on the starbard gimble.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jaxx 30
From a simple mechanical standpoint it would seem one tie bar, be it inside or outside, should be sufficient to keep the drives pointed right, and the outermost position being most efficient. I have a hunch that there is a bit of binding going on when the drives are turned. Therefore I will be eliminating the inside tiebar. I would like to get rid of the ball joints and go with sphereical rod ends.............

As far as pics are concerned my camera downloads way to big to post without messing with resizing and I HATE IT!

I have also found there will still be interference the the steering linkage and the starboard engine left side exhaust tube/hose even after the inside tiebar is deleted. I think I have a fix for that.

Quick question for the pros........instead of having four separate engine mounts on the stringers, why not a one piece engine "cradle" that mounts on the stringers that would also beef up and add rigidity to the ass end of the boat? You could mount the engines in the "cradle" and install and pull both engines at the same time.
To answer your question...they are called offshore mounts.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Registered

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, thank you.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jaxx 30
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, thank you.
When are you going to sneak down to San Diego and take a ride on my boat?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered

If I can get the time off and rid of the kids for a weekend I'll let you know. My wife loves San Diego. Hows the weather down there? It was 104 here over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Steering linkage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.