Thoughts on 29' Scarab >

Thoughts on 29' Scarab

Notices

Thoughts on 29' Scarab

Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on 29' Scarab

I'm looking at a 29' Scarab as my first boat. I was wondering with all the folks on here what you think these water stains mean in the interior? Is this common? Does this mean anything serious? I was thinking some of it could just be from the top hatch, but there is a lot up front. Thanks for your help and hope to join you all soon.

Last edited by Viperbob; 09-01-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the first pic it looks it might have leaked behind the rub rail where the deck and hull are joined.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob
I'm looking at a 29' Scarab as my first boat. I was wondering with all the folks on here what you think these water stains mean in the interior? Is this common? Does this mean anything serious? I was thinking some of it could just be from the top hatch, but there is a lot up front. Thanks for your help and hope to join you all soon.

Most likely leaking at the seam where the deck and hull are joined together. The rub rail covers the seam, but apparently isn't water tight. Is there anything mounted on the deck above the area that might be leaking? The way it's stained to the outer edges, I would be looking at the rub rail.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Registered

There does not appear to be anything attached to the bow of the boat.. Is this as easy as removing the rail and resealing if that is indeed where it is leaking? Of couse some new interior items are going to be needed...

Last edited by Viperbob; 09-01-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The rail really should be caulked top and bottom. Can't tell if it is in the pics. From the looks of the shadow under the starboard side of the hatch, looks like the hatch doesn't sit flat on the deck. Or is it just the angle of the sun?

Wayne
Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viperbob, the pic of the boat shows the problem. The vynil rub rail has screws in it. I don't recall seeing a lot of vynil rub rails attached that way. All stainless and aluminum rails use screws. Anyway I suspect that the leak is coming from the screws because of a lack of caulking. You might pull the rub rail and seal it and seal the screw holes as well with some marine caulk. I doubt there is any structural damage, just cosmetic. If you are thinking of buying this boat make to owner lower his price for this work at least by 1500 dollars, maybe more.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you can swing it, go for a 33. You will not regret it.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered

Thanks all.

I'd love a 33, but going through a divorce so trying to keep it small for now..
Old 09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered

The 33's are awsome, especially with AVS bottom, but there is nothing small about the 29. I would be carefull with the water stains. Have it surveyed. It could be more than a little upolstry work. You will be very happy with the 29.
Scott
Old 09-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by Viperbob

I Have a Low Hour, Fresh water 1999 29 With twins 350/300hp that I will sell cheaper than any on the market.. I was going to hold out, but the wife found a cruiser she really likes and I cant swing 3 boats at this time.. so sell one cheap, and buy another cheap - It's a wash I guess.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 29' Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.