timing on hei >

timing on hei

Notices

timing on hei

Old 06-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing on hei

past weekend took out the new to me 22' scarab after it got alot of new upgrades. we switched the ignition out for a accel hei coil and after running wide open for more than 5min she gets super hot and when i shut it down i can hear the water boil inside the risers. i pulled the impeller and ran high pressure water threw all the hoses making sure i had no blockages and while running at wot had someone check to make sure im getting enough water flow and i am. could timing have that much effect on the temp ? and if so how would i go about setting the timing . and btw its a stock 7.4
Old 06-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I have heard that timing can create allot of heat especially with the oil. So I am assuming maybe water too? Get a dial advance timing light that you can set the timing you want. Rev your motor to 3000 and set it to desired degrees (32*) so you can see full advancement.

Something similar to this....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-...motiveQ5fTools