29 Scarab steering question

Notices

29 Scarab steering question

Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29 Scarab steering question

hello
I am new to the site and boating, I just picked up a 94 29 Scarab with twin 350 mags with alpha's.
Not having a great time so far, 1st time out the starbord motor locked up and the next morning went out to find the port drive to be leaking oil out of pre exsisting cracks that had been covered with bondo. I put a new motor in and fixed the drive and it is going now so I guess it could be worse.
My question is there is quite a bit of play in the steering, It seems to be in the wheel. I guess there is a valve body that the wheel goes into. Is there a way to tighten that up ? ..Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Registered

take the tie bar off between the outdrives and wiggle the outdrive and see if there is alot of play should only have .5 of and inch if it is really bad your gimble bearings are shot common maintainance problem
Old 08-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Registered

I do have a little play there, I am going to look better at it today. I thought it was a full hyd. setup but I have been told it should be cable with hyd. assist.. I have no tie bar between the drive should I ? .. Thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by humpster
take the tie bar off between the outdrives and wiggle the outdrive and see if there is alot of play should only have .5 of and inch if it is really bad your gimble bearings are shot common maintainance problem
Wrong.

If there is any side-side play in the drive, the two tiller clamp bolts at the top of each gimbal ring need to be re-torqued to 50-55lbs. Yearly maintenance item.
Not sure what valve body you're referring to, or are you talking about the power steering setup?
Sounds like you bought someone elses basket of mistakes.

You don't need a tie bar, but I'd recommend one. It just keeps the drives parallel.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Registered

Welcome !!! I have the same boat. When I bought mine the port gimball was worn and the drive floped around a bit. I bought a external tie bar from eddie marine and ran that til the end of the season. I replaced both transom assemblys. I like the tie bar eddie makes over the others as it allows for the most mis alignment of the drives without putting pressure where you don't want it. My friend has a 96 20 so between the two of us we can probably help a lot !!!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Registered

Not sure if it is a basket of mistakes or just wear over the years the boat is clean and everything seems to be done right for the most part.
Ok I checked out the steering and it has a cable then goes to the ram in the back. There is very little play in the steering box itself most of the play is in the cable. is there a way to adjust the cable ? I see no way to adjust it on the steering box side.
Thanks Hunster I will need help I am totaly new to all this and on top of it I am paralyzed from the waist down, it takes me awhile but I get it done.. lol
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered

your not wrong in what u see everything u are looking at is correct as far as the ram goes still think its your gimbles that are worn you did not buy a basket of mistakes that other guy is wrong
Old 08-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Registered

I replaced the starbord gimble when the motor was out and there is not much play in the out drives. When i turn the wheel I had somebody in the back looking at the ram and it moves very little but the wheel will turn 6" or so with slack.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

Ok after running this weekend I have some "play or slop " at the helm . I can move the wheel an inch or two without it doing anything. I guess I'm just used to it. I'll try the other boat and see though I know my steering is better than his by his own admission from piloting my boat.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Registered

I called teleflex, They make the steering parts... They said the cable can't strech so make sure the rear end of the cable where it hooks to the hyd rack is nice and greased well, if I still have play it will be in the steering box.. It is normal to have 2" of play on a 14" steering wheel but that should diappear when you get the motors spinning above idle..