Fear the worst??? >

Fear the worst???

Notices

Fear the worst???

Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fear the worst???

Ok, well, just got my first "big boat" and spent a good amount of time on here reading... (thanks guys) Shes an 84 Scarab III, has 496 merlins, with velvets, and TRS's. I had some carb probs... (working out) And today when I was out testing her, and noticed the starboard drive not engageing, (it did earlier) so I checked fluid, and nothing... trans was really warm to the touch, so I added fluid.... still nothing... Did I torch it already? spinning the blade by hand it does feel like its dragging, the port spins freely....

BTW: when I pulled plug, I found the fluid in transom. how delicate are these trans' could I be lucky and had a line split, or seperate? I'll have my head in it Friday..
Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

When I lost a tranny it went from good to bad in about 2 seconds. Running 70mph, got off plane talked to the passengers for a sec and never got back on plane.

There are a couple of threads about people rebuilding their own. Supposedly not to tough of a job. I will do my next one.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Yup, sorry to say it but shes smoked. They dont last long once you run them dry. im sure it probably stunk pretty bad. You either puked the front pump seal, blew a cooler line, or lost the rear tailstock plug.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Registered

Damm... thought so... well, its been said things break, but not even second time out, and didn't even get the carbs set yet... lol... Now gotta find a place that can swap em out, or build me an A-frame or something cuz garage isn't tall enough...
Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Call these guys: Kalamazoo Marine Gear , Mark Gernsback
2700 portage St. Kalamazoo Mich. 49001
Phone 616-3450629

good luck Jim
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Common mistake is to rebuild the trans and not change the oil cooler that is packed with burnt clutch material which will cause a failure. Can not flush it well enough. It is better to replace it.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Registered

Cool thanks... both... I also been reading that I need to have the boat in the water for coupling alignment... Does this even come into play during this? FOr some reason I am lost on this-
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BEEN THERE DONE THAT X TWO !
ALSO TRY www.fantasticfinishmarine.com
Eric built mine for 800+ hp!
Jim, I should be out this weekend!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
When I lost a tranny it went from good to bad in about 2 seconds. Running 70mph, got off plane talked to the passengers for a sec and never got back on plane.

There are a couple of threads about people rebuilding their own. Supposedly not to tough of a job. I will do my next one.
I lied, just lost my other tranny today. It went from slipping @ 4500 RPM to 4000 RPM to 3200 RPM, engaged at those RPM's but would spin to 6500RPM if pushed hard. I made it 26 miles and still idled thru 3 miles of channel. Fortunately the guy that rebuilt my last one was boating with us. He told me that he has everything on the shelf. He said that he ditches the 5 bronze plates and replaces them with 7 graphite plates and some other tricks. Should be good to around 700HP. If I get motivated I will pull it this week, but sounds like a good winter project.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
I lied, just lost my other tranny today. It went from slipping @ 4500 RPM to 4000 RPM to 3200 RPM, engaged at those RPM's but would spin to 6500RPM if pushed hard. I made it 26 miles and still idled thru 3 miles of channel. Fortunately the guy that rebuilt my last one was boating with us. He told me that he has everything on the shelf. He said that he ditches the 5 bronze plates and replaces them with 7 graphite plates and some other tricks. Should be good to around 700HP. If I get motivated I will pull it this week, but sounds like a good winter project.
Wow must be catchy.... lol.. if you have a chance I'd like to know the upgrades so I can do it or if not too horrible I might just throw the bussiness at yur buddy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.