1995 29 scarab >

1995 29 scarab

Notices

1995 29 scarab

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 29 scarab

ive noticed scattered older post about what props everyone is running on thier boats i have a 95 29 scarab with a 23pitch prop with full tank of fuel and 2 people on board i got 62 on the gps.. Have a single mercruiser 502 on it and the prop that is on it is jacked up ends are bent etc... I just aquired tis boat and looking to change the prop first dont know wheter to keep same prop but get it redone or buy a differ size
Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Registered

Hey congrats on the boat. The 29 Scarab is on of my favorites. If I were you, I would get your existing prop fixed first. Then run the boat with the repaired prop and see where your RPMs fall at WOT. With the 502, I believe you should be around the 5000 RPM range.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Registered

I'm at 5100 wot. I've look at craigslist and I can get a 24 4 blade for 175 mint condition and it will cost 150 to fix mine I mean it seriously looks as if the went to the boat ramp and spun it on the concrete. Didn't know of I shod buy the 24 and see what it does and then maybe fix the 23 as well just was wondering what everyone was running on these boats. This boat defiantly taking a hit on this 25yr olds wallet but can't wait for next season new paint interior stereo gauges etc will all be done and looking brand new. Does anyone know a good place to get the trim indicator cables or whatever it is my trim tabs go up and down equally but the Gauge shows it being off. And for the outdrive it doesn't work at all. This being my first boat I'm defenatly not knowing where to turn for stock replacement parts
Old 10-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

Apparently I'm dyslexic or blind I have a 23p
Old 10-20-2010, 03:12 AM
Registered

Call around to your local marinas and find one that will let you water test props (assuming they have props you are interested in trying). A few years ago I did just that. They swiped my credit card as a deposit then said I could test ask many as they had hanging on the wall. I took a day off work and did it early on a Tuesday so I had the lake to myself. I took a GPS, a stopwatch, digital tach (borrowed from work) and a notebook with me. I learned a helluva lot about my boat and what props it likes that day and it was well worth the time and effort. I then bought a prop from that marina for about $100 more than I could have off ebay, but I think that was a fair premium to pay for the water trials.

No substitution for trying them yourself on the water.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Registered

If the price spread is that close, I would call it a toss up. The one thing to keep in mind, If you are running a 23p, and you change to a 24p, you could lose some RPM and speed. The higher the pitch numbers on the prop, the more horsepower it takes to spin them. I have no doubt that your 502 would have no problem spinning a 24p prop, just something to keep in mind.

I agree with ECeptor's method. This is the ideal way to do it, if the budget allows.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kbrandt8
I'm at 5100 wot. I've look at craigslist and I can get a 24 4 blade for 175 mint condition and it will cost 150 to fix mine I mean it seriously looks as if the went to the boat ramp and spun it on the concrete. Didn't know of I shod buy the 24 and see what it does and then maybe fix the 23 as well just was wondering what everyone was running on these boats. This boat defiantly taking a hit on this 25yr olds wallet but can't wait for next season new paint interior stereo gauges etc will all be done and looking brand new. Does anyone know a good place to get the trim indicator cables or whatever it is my trim tabs go up and down equally but the Gauge shows it being off. And for the outdrive it doesn't work at all. This being my first boat I'm defenatly not knowing where to turn for stock replacement parts
If budget is a concern, I'd focus on getting the right prop on the back of the boat and having it run the best it can before worrying about interior paint, stereo upgrades, etc. Performance first, vanity items second is my order of priority.

Let us all know what prop you end up with.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

I have to check with some local marine shops where i live there's not a huge lake just a smaller one. But we have several marine places so guess I'll get on the phone. And your def right about working on Getting it to run the best it can. I'm doing everything at once. On a budget but the budget is just what I want to spend that week. I work outta town and am gone more then home so eBay and the Internet is my downfall to much time to sit around and buy things for it. Luckily the motor has just been redone and runs great however I notice that it says it's 415 hp on the books for that motor but I have a stainless plate with serial number etc that says it's a 500hp motor kinda confused on that one. Hoping to have this weekend off and be able to find somewhere to test some props out before I start buying them trying and having a stockpile of them to sell after I find the one that performs the best thanks for all the replies I didn't even know you could demo them. Would you guys know by chance where to get the cables for the idicators for trim tab and the drive on the boat?